custom curtains on the cheap

This isn't the greatest photo, but I've been holding onto this Better Homes & Gardens article since it came out in the February 2007 issue - it's all about how to customize curtains. (p.s. don't you love the turquoise curtain/paint? I totally wish I would have copied the color palate)

When we moved to a new apartment in July, I pulled it out of my notebook and got to work. I found and a zinnia stencil on Michael's website that looks a lot like the BGH stencil... and since we don't have a Michael's store in Manhattan, I made my own.

I bought a plain sheet of stencil "paper" (I don't know what else to call it. It is more like a thin sheet of plastic) at Lee's Art Shop, traced the printed-out zinnia graphic using a permanant marker, and started cutting away, scherenschnitte style.

Using fabric paint, I stenciled a sheer white Ikea curtain panel.


Yep, that is panel, singular. I have yet to do the other one.

I picked a sheer curtain due to my dark, alley-facing kitchen window. I need all the light I can get! If you are using sheer panels (or any thickness, really), make sure you cover your work surface with cardboard to protect it from the excess paint that seeps through.

24 comments:

stephanie said...

Cute, cute, cute!! I love it!

Amy said...

these are beautiful!!

Sass E-mum said...

You are so clever. I know you've heard it before, but you see, you once inspired me to try a scherenschnitte style cut out.

You have NO IDEA what a MESS I made of that job.

That's how I know just how clever you are.

Susie said...

very beautiful! you did a great job.

undefined said...

I've been lurking around your blog for a while, but now I just have to say that I love your blog and your ideas. We recently moved, and I've been trying to figure out a way to do curtains/window coverings for our many new windows. Love this idea! Thanks.

Ashley said...

Beautiful - as usual!

Jen S. said...

what a fantastic idea! your curtains are great!

Motherhood for Dummies said...

As always, super cute. You really have amazing ideas.

Christa said...

Love them! I just came across your blog and I will definitely be back. I love crafty stuff like this!

20 Something Superhero said...

These are super cute!! What a sweet idea to add some color to your kitchen.

coryshay said...

wow...love it love it love it!! I haven't tried using fabric paint yet, but I might work up the courage now! Thanks for the inspiration as usual!

Ewokgirl said...

What a neat idea! Your curtain looks great!

Angie said...

These are looking great! I plan on doing something similar to my Pier 1 khaki curtains in my living room. They need something to spice them up, I just haven't decided on the design yet!

Amy said...

So cute!!! Absolutely love them.

I have no idea how to do that crazy cutting technique though- I think it intimidates me!

Jennifer said...

Those are precious! Did you free form where you would put the flowers, or did you intentionally space them out? Also, did you use the leaf stencil or just the pretty zinnia? I love these! I might just have to make some :)

Chelsea said...

What a beautiful pattern. It looks like it took a LOT of work, though. I don't know if I'd have the patience for that. But it does give me a good idea for curtains.

Rozan said...

Wow that is such a great idea! They look beautiful!

Stephanie said...

hey awesome job on the curtains. ive been reading your blog for over a month now and you have some really great ideas. i'm stealing the curtain idea for my bathroom hehe let's hope it turns out just as good as yours did.

Stephanie.

Maryam said...

wow this is a great idea, I just recently bought sheer curtains from IKEA for my daughters room to get as much light as possible too. I was trying to decide on a way to spice them up, I was thinking of using ribbon but I like this idea better!!

Rebeckah said...

This is so pretty. I love it : )!

Natalie said...

I bought the book printing by hand, and now I see your curtains... I can't find good fabric paint! Could you tell me what your using? Thanks

dining room table said...

You did a really great job on the curtain. It really looked so nice an perfect.

CherishedHearts Vintage said...

I love that you did this on a sheer. Think I'll play around with this a little on an old sheer and different paints to see what happens.

Roxie Tenner said...

That's such a beautiful project, Jill. I think it's good to install one either in the living area or in the bedroom as it can give an inviting feel to the entire room. Anyhow, when doing this craft, it's better to pre-soak your curtain fabric first, especially when it's a canvass cloth. This is to cleanse the fabric from the contaminated chemicals that are present.

#Roxie@WindowTreatmentsPhiladelphia.com