quiet book, page 2

Page two is inspired by verse 2 of "In the Leafy Treetops."

This page is made with felt, quilting cotton, ribbon, a button and embroidery thread. Plus ...

... a little surprise for Oscar to find. Did you know that you can print pictures on regular fabric? It isn't quiet as vibrant as I'd like, but does the trick. Here's how you do it:

1. Cut a piece of freezer paper to normal printer paper dimensions (8 1/2 x 11 inches)
2. Iron a piece of white cotton fabric to the waxy side of the freezer paper
3. Arrange the photos you would like to print in a word document
4. Put your "fabric paper" in the printer, freezer paper side up, and print
5. Peel the freezer paper off the fabric
6. Heat-set with a hot iron and you are ready to use it in a fun project.

Since this is going in a baby project, and therefore very likely to be slobbered to death, I also covered my printed fabric in iron-on vinyl. I don't know if the ink would bleed without it, but I didn't want to take any chances.

I also sewed a piece of plastic inside the brown center of the flower flap, so it makes a pleasant (and still quiet) crinkly sound.

In response to some of your questions from the first post:
  • The background of the page is just plain quilting cotton. Actually, it is a pillow sham that I cut up.
  • I cut my white fabric into five 12x24 inch pieces. This will give me ten 11 1/2 inch square pages after seam allowance.
  • I am using a patterned piece of cotton cut to the same dimensions for the cover and plan to put a layer of very thin batting under the cover (and possibly between all the pages, I haven't decided).
  • The font I used for my text is called Joyful Juliana.
  • I'll put a set of templates together when I finish the book. I wish I had time to do it now, but I am rushing to get the book done as it is. Not a lot of time to spare because I'm moving! Eek.


Elizabeth said...

Such a cute idea for a page in a quite book. I have also printed right onto fusible interfacing, the colors seem to print out quite nicely on it too. I used a pellon brand in the 700s (if I remember correctly). Then, you can fuse it right to any project. Good luck with the rest of the book! Can't wait to see the finished project.

Katie said...

WOW! I love all the little details you've added! I'd be scared to mess up my printer, but that is a cool idea.

jlk said...

Really cute!

Aunt Mary said...

Jill, Here are a couple of ideas I found helpful when I made my books. Use the thinnest layer you can find of the batting to put between all the pages, make your cover a 1/4-1/2" larger on all three sides to really make it look like a book cover, you may want to place a bit more batting in the cover, you can also place a tab closure on the back cover that reaches to the front cover to hold it closed....also gives them something else to do. Can affix with buton or snap and they love it. Very cute book and will look forward to the templates. You are so creative.

Hippie Family... said...


I was just wondering to myself, how is your advertising going?

*~*a.l.s*~* said...

I'm not Moromon but I listened to that song that you linked to last week and thought it was so fun! We use pre-made Taggie books for our quiet books at church but I'm thinking about commissioning my twin to make one for me! Thanks for the tips!

Hadley said...

cute ideas! I'm looking forward to following along!

Valerie said...

I would love to do this for my new grandson. Maybe I can catch up with you soon.

Deck The HALLS of HOME with JOY! said...

It's fabulous! I love it!

StakerSensations said...

You have such great ideas! I have been wanting to make one of these forever...do you know you can buy fabric backed with sticky stuff you can print on! And it prints perfect...the colors are vibrant and all!!! I bought mine at Joann's IN their quilting sections!

henzy said...

the little hidden picture in the flower.. so cute

Heidi said...

This is beautiful! You have a very lucky child-to-be.