quiet book, page 6

When I saw this post about a felt aquarium over at Purl Bee, I knew that I had to make an ocean page for the quiet book.

I used Molly's templates for all my fish, except the jellies. I got the idea to use ric rac for those, which was much easier and more stable - I don't have much wool felt on hand, and the craft stuff just doesn't hold up well when it is cut into thin strips. All of the fish have a velcro backing, so they can be moved around.

I also made one of the cute pieces of coral, but it somehow got lost in the sewing process. Sad! Hopefully it will turn up, and I'll add it to the page.

The "sand" is a felt pocket and the seaweed plants are made up of a funky ribbon that I clipped apart. I also threw in a raffia/bead trim for another type of plant and to add texture. My friend Megan gave me the trim a year ago, and I never thought I'd find a use for it. :)

Check out the Purl Bee for some awesome felt aquarium templates!

post signature

17 comments:

Christine said...

You are so creative and patient! Oscar is a lucky boy! I wish I knew how to sew!

Anonymous said...

This is a work of art! Are you sure you want to put it in baby hands???

Kiasa said...

I am in love with your quite book! I really wanted to make one for Isabella, but could never find a good resource. Now, all your fabulous posts are on my list to make for baby #2. You're amazing!

Brittany Ann said...

So, SO, cute! I love it!

Christy said...

This book is going to be so cute when it's finished! Oscar is going to love it! Thanks for sharing!

My Precious Peanut Designs said...

This is the cutest book I have ever seen! You are doing an amazing job!!

Tina in Duluth said...

Your project is fantastic! What a lucky little boy you have!

Marcee said...

I like the new look of your page! And your hair is way cute...

Nicole M said...

Hi Jill, Love the new blog look. It's wonderful. The detail on the pages you are doing are so creative. Thank you for sharing.

Sara said...

OK- I am new to your blog and absolutely LOVE all of your cute ideas! Is there anyway to get a tutorial of your quiet book? I just think it's wonderful!!

Megan said...

I just happened upon your site - these are super duper CUTE!!!!

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

So cute and I *love* how you used the ric-rac!

Sarah said...

Jill,
What about a beach pail with a felt shovel and rake for the page next to this one? The shovel and rake could be attached with a string and Oscar would have to put them in the bucket? Just a thought! Love the book so far!
-Sarah from Create Studio
www.createstudio.blogspot.com

your momma said...

Oscar is going to love this book! Every page is so great, and I love that it is all you! Sending my love!

We are the Zitzmans said...

So I have been following your blog for awhile now, so super impressed with all you do. I am even going to attempt to make a couple of things. I finally decided to give you a little love and shout out that you are
awesome.

Julie said...

The jellyfish are my favorite!

Rose said...

wicked pages!!