baby girl quilt

I started this quilt back in March of 2008 ... newly pregnant and convinced I was having a girl (all the old wives tales confirmed it!).

I was 95% done when I ran out of thread. Isn't that the worst? It got put in a drawer and forgotten, then neglected completely when the ultrasound said all boy.

Flash forward to last month ... I am packing up my apartment and come across the quilt. Eager to procrastinate the nasty packing task, I finished it up on the spot and decided to send it off to my brother and sister-in-law, who are having their first baby (a girl, of course) in August. I really LOVE the fabric (it was a fat quarter bundle from Purl Soho), so I hesitated sending it away. But if I know anything about fabric, it is that there is always more out there to buy.


post signature

13 comments:

Ethan, Zach, and Emma's Mom said...

Beautiful, as usual! I love the touch of lace on the edge. That makes it so feminine! There's nothing better than buying fabric, right?

Liz (Loving Mom 2 Boys) said...

Beautiful!!! I am quickly becoming a huge fan of Purl Soho (well the Purl Bee online of course) I told my husband we have to go to the city just so I can go there!!

What size are the squares that you used? I am thinking of making a quilt like this for a friend.

Jill said...

I went for the super easy and cut 6 inch squares (the width of my sewing ruler). :)

Rose said...

I love quilting, sometimes it is hard to give them away when they're done!

My Precious Peanut Designs said...

Beautiful!

Lena said...

That is a really beautiful quilt! I am glad you decided to finish it.

Vivian said...

This blanket is adorable!

I was also convinced I was having a girl and crocheted a blanket with both yellow and a variegated yarn with yellow, white, pink and blue, intending to put a pink boarder on it. Then I found out it was a boy and did blue instead!

momof3under6 said...

super duper cute. I wish i had time for quilting again. 3 kids under six does me in! :)

Anonymous said...

Great job! The lace trim is wonderful.

followthisumbrella said...

I agree - the lace trim is a special touch. I always had plans to make one for each of my two girls but I received so many beautiful ones as gifts that it really seemed a poor use of my time!

cuteellaisbold said...

That is beautiful! I too love the lace touch.

Eva said...

very nice!

The Maddox Family - Rob and Sarah said...

Jill, thanks for the blanket. Baby Ellie will love her first blanket. It is beautiful and soft. We love it!