shirt refashion in two ways - part 2

After my original attempt at refashioning this shirt failed (I sized the first one wrong and it was way too small - the post below is my second attempt), I had to come up with a plan B. And the ruffle pillow was born:

I've seen ruffly pillows around online (like here at kelly + olive), so this isn't a new idea, but making a pillow from a shirt is easy and fast, because all the hard parts are already done.

First I removed all the ruffles. Then I cut a 12 1/2 inch square of fabric from the back of the shirt, and a 12 1/2 inch square from the front of the shirt, centering it on the buttons.

I re-attached the ruffles to the fabric cut from the back of the shirt (the solid piece), which now becomes the front of the pillow.

With right sides together, sew around all sides. You now have a cute, ruffly pillow with a button-up back closure. Easy!

Here's what the back looks like:

Have I mentioned how my husband hates this ruffle-craze? Really hates it. And I am wearing a lot of ruffles these days. Oops.

I have a good sized piece of the original shirt left over from this project and I can't bear to throw it away. What do you think I should do with it?

I'm thinking it could be the top of a little girl or baby dress. We'll see!

post signature

27 comments:

Lisan said...

Baby dress!!! Great idea! With ruffles on the bottom??? ;)

Lyanna said...

Use it for a yoke on a dress, or one of those bubbly tops. Cute pillow :)

Donna said...

Could you turn it into a shrug?

Kent and Katie said...

Ooh, definitely use the top for a little girl dress and just add a sweet print to the bottom. Whatever you do, be sure to post it! :)

Georgine said...

Wait, why was the short a failure? It looked pretty good? Just curious what went wrong.

Mommy Mac said...

Keeping up with the trends sometimes makes husbands frown. I find this to be true.

Your rock at repurposing.

Really, you do.

Love the color. What a coincidence, I just completed new throw pillows for my living room last night!

.mac :)

fawnda said...

I agree with Georine, the shirt loooked great to me! was there something that we could not see?

The pillow is so cute! great idea!

Jenn-Lee said...

What a cute idea. I thought the shirt looked great. I liked the idea of the sleeves being added from the extra fabric on the bottom.

The pillow looks so cute too! Thanks for helping me look at my unwanted clothes in a whole new way!

Catey said...

I was also thinking shrug, or since it's your size (I think? I missed that on the last post), use it as the starting point for an empire waist dress or baby doll top for you.

ShellyStout said...

I think you should turn it into a lovely little clutch purse......and then GIVE IT AWAY ON HERE! ;)

Jess @ Floralshowers Craft Blog said...

I really love your blog! You are so creative!!

This pillow is adorable. I'm going to make me one as soon as humanly possible.

Lena said...

Does it fit right to attach it to a skirt like you did before? I loved that dress by the way.

Rebekah said...

LOVE! So clever.

Wendy said...

That is just too cute!

Kim said...

Love this idea!! A def. must for pillows :)

Karilyn Sanders said...

Haha my husband hates my ruffle obsession too:-) Oh well, I love them (I'm wearing a ruffle-collared shirt I made right now!)

Lisa said...

LOVE this!! You are just so creative!! I can't justify throwing a good piece of fabric away, as well.

Lisa B.

luvinthemommyhood said...

FABULOUS!!!!

Love this! Great idea! I couldn't resist adding this to our link luv roundup today.

http://www.luvinthemommyhood.com/2009/08/link-luv-roundup_26.html

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Why not turn it into a little tote bag?

Shelley in SC said...

Oh, this is great!! I think I like it 100x more as a pillow even than a shirt!! Great work and so cute!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I was thinking sachets. Very romantic color, and it could scent your clothes and drawers nicely with lavender or whatever you want to put in it.

Jodie said...

AWESOME ! I would do anything to avoid button holes - this is perfect !

Claire said...

What a nice recycling project =) You can turn the left-over fabric & buttons into a pouch for pencils or sunglasses (maybe add some lining).

naomi said...

Love the pillow! There are a lot of great ideas for the rest of the shirt on here already but my 2 cents is that it would make beautiful fabric roses for a pretty little hat.

Julie @ Little One-of-a-Kind Design said...

i think the ruffle pillow negates a craft fail! it packs a punch!

Reena said...

Hey! That looks like a perfect sari top :)

Scrapbooking Ideas said...

I've got lots of clothes here that needs to be used soon, and I think the pillows might be the best bet! Thanks for this simple and quick tutorial. =)