painted wood blocks

Over the summer, an Elmer's representative sent me a giant box of craft supplies. According to them, I am a "respected blogger and crafter" (giggle, snort). Anyway, Elmer's has this whole line of craft stuff that I didn't know about, so I am trying things out.

I've had these plain, 1 1/2 inch wood blocks for, oh, forever, that I've been meaning to decoupage with pretty paper (like these beautiful babies). Instead, I decided to try out my handy dandy Elmer's Painters pens. Because there is nothing I love more than a slap-dash craft.

It was really simple - I just drew a border with letters, numbers, shapes, and a few little pictures on all the sides of the blocks. Most of the letters are in all the colors, and then I did an extra set of letters in black that spell out Oscar's name.

The paint dried really fast, so I didn't have to wait around before flipping them over to do another side. The markers I used were in the "bright" and "neon" packs, and the neon is a little, well ... neon. But Oscar likes them and that's what really matters.

We've been playing with these non-stop over the weekend. I build tall towers, and Oscar knocks them down. I spell out words and Oscar steals my letters. Hours of entertainment.

And these blocks are making him smarter already. Look what he spelled out for me tonight!

;)

post signature


25 comments:

Mama Mel said...

These are so cute! :)

baballa said...

Great idea!!!!

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

They are darling!

The Harris Family said...

These are so cute and such a fun idea.

hopeful #1 said...

Love them! So bright and colorful!

Mango Mom said...

What a fun Idea, and when he get's older he'll use them to make huts for his action figures. A toy that keeps on giving. Love it.

Melanie said...

they are really cool! where do you get small blocks like that?

Mommy Mac said...

I really like these!

We have some too.


Wooden blocks really are a boys' best friend.

.mac :)

gigi said...

What beautiful blue eyes he has and he is much cuter than the blocks.

gigi said...

What beautiful blue eyes he has and he is much cuter than the blocks.

Cheryl said...

cute! I'll have to try out these Elmer's paint pens. You always have the greatest things to show. Hope that baby starts to sleep for you again soon. So hard when that's happening. yawn.

Amber said...

I was a little surprised when I first discovered that my girls often prefer wooden toys to their plastic ones - no idea why, but when it comes to blocks (except for legos, of course) they always get out the wooden ones.

Not only does Oscar get great toys, but he's going to have so many wonderful keepsakes when he is older!

sue said...

quick crafts are my staple!!! great idea!

Jenny said...

Those are just really cool. I could see those being a really neat heirloom toy.

We are the Zitzmans said...

Super cute. I will have to try it out.

Bloom said...

congrats on being a "respected blogger and crafter!" cute blocks, too.

jess said...

what a great personalized toy! love em!

lej619 said...

what a great picture of your son!!

Kim said...

Cute idea! These would also be cute as decoration for a baby shower or something....personalizing the baby's name out of these adorable blocks!

The Parkers said...

Super Cute!!! How many blocks did you order and use?

Jill said...

I did a set of 26 blocks - there are two full alphabets, plus the letters for his name, numbers 1-9 twice, and lots of little shapes and pictures.

J&E said...

I just found your blog and you'd better believe I am pumped!
Erin

Anonymous said...

Love the idea. Where can you buy the blank wooden blocks?

Kayli said...

Is it non-toxic paint? I'm thinking I may create some of my own soon, but I worry about my baby putting them in her mouth or trying to teethe!

Transformers Games said...

This is so damn good. You fill the reader's heart by sharing just the right quotes at the right time.
I have never heard of this block game. How do you play or am I skipping over something?