variations on the gift jar



Here's a variation on the gift jar from my last post.  For a different look (and more instant results), you can use Elmer's Painters to draw a design directly onto the jar.  For the jar above, I printed these templates from Martha Stewart's DIY wedding section.  Tape the template to the inside of the jar and trace the design on the outside using an Elmer's Painter pen.

 

Have you visited the Daily Drop Cap yet?  Several times a week, typographer Jessica Hische posts a beautifully hand-crafted initial cap.  I printed mine out and used it as a template for this second jar, using the same method described above.  I was excited to see the little spirals on my initial, since they happen to be my signature doodle.  I drew freehand spirals to cover the rest of the jar.



Fill with a goodie, add a pretty gift tag, and you're all set to go.

post signature

17 comments:

Lauren said...

Ooo! So pretty! Your blog is so fabulous!

Nancy Jacobs Basketmaster said...

So cute and clever. Easy too!
Thanks for sharing.
Nancy

Renee said...

Okay... too stinkin' cute. I love these little babies! Terrific idea! Thank the ladies at your church for me :)

Bethany Heckman said...

These are cute and the pens sound easy! Are you using canning jars or recycled food jars??

Jill said...

I am using quart-sized canning jars, but any smooth sided jar would work!

susan said...

Ahhh, but these require a little artistic talent, that darling tag of yours, and of course, the goodie! I fear I was born without the craft gene :) Yours are precious and a really good idea. I'll check out the templates. Maybe that will help.I'm having a giveaway!

Sofia Deyanira said...

Thanks for the link to the luminaras template. I will so be using these on my glass jars for gifts this year!

Diana said...

Great project and so easy too! I featured you on my blog today. Have a wonderful weekend!

http://thegirlcreative.blogspot.com/2009/11/girl-creative-picks-of-week.html

Suzy D. said...

Nice!
never heard of those pens. See what surfing your fav.sites does for your craft stash?(it just keeps growing) hehehe

Clemencia said...

Hi Jill, I just discovered your blog, is fantastic, I love it! what an inspiration to all of us.
thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas :)

Kathy - mom of many said...

Love your tips...I appreciate the fact that your crafts are doable for me. Have a wonderful day and weekend.

Amy said...

Where are you getting these plain jars? I can only find mason or bell jars.

Jill said...

These are Ball brand jars (they are called Smooth Jars) and I found them at Michael's.

Carrie said...

What a great idea, very cute.

Emma Rae said...

Hi! I ran into your blog and absolutely DIED when I saw your playhouse!!!! I have a question :) On the areas that you have Velcro (like the apple tree) is it easy for the kids to put them back on since there is no wall behind the felt wall piece?
THANKS :)

M.L.J.C. said...

I just wanted to say thank you a million times over for your adorable felt playhouse idea! I just finished mine and I'm in love! (We'll see what the kiddos think in the morning). The final product is on my blog:
http://thehalesangelsfamily.blogspot.com/2009/11/its-done.html

Thanks again!

The Persimmon Perch said...

I am so impressed by Elmer's painters. I didn't know they would work that well. Great job really cute! Jules