homemade ornaments

I decorated our Christmas tree this morning while Oscar napped.  He was completely bewildered by it when he woke up.  By this evening, he decided it was ok ... at the very least it is a good target for ramming his truck into.  This should be a fun month.

I usually make a few new ornaments for the tree each year, but didn't quite get around to it for 2009.  Maybe I'll still sneak in a few.  Here are the ornament projects I have my eye on this year:

Origami Glitter Cranes at Zakka Life
Felt Christmas Ornament at Zakka Life
Silhouette Ornaments at Roots and Wings Co.
Argyle Applique Ornament at So September
Simple Sewn Bird Ornaments at Purl Bee

Here are some ornaments I've made in past years:

I like to dress up plain ball ornaments with a silver sharpie and pretty beads attached with a few dabs of hot glue.

You can find cheap cardboard ornament forms at most craft stores.  I give mine a generous coat of craft glue and top off with my favorite Martha Stewart glitter.
Add a bit of sparkle to pine cones by brushing the tops with rubber cement and dusting with glitter.
A few years ago I made these glitter snowflakes for an ornament swap (can you tell I love my glitter?).  I cut the snowflakes out of sturdy cardboard and then coated them with craft glue and lots of glitter.  Really easy!

In a different holiday category, this is the most awesome advent calendar I have ever seen.  Ever!
Advent Calendar at Gingerbread Snowflakes

Yeah ... I don't have ten years to make an advent calendar either.  Do you have ten minutes?  Print up a free advent calendar at Mibo Studio.

post signature


Natasha said...

I love that he rams his truck into the tree. Little boys are so funny! Samster likes to pet our tree. Go figure.

Natalie said...

Beautiful ornaments. I love the glitter ones!

Just an FYI for ya.... glass ornaments and toddlers do NOT mix. I have a 2 1/2 and a 1 1/2 year old. Believe me. We just put up our tree and in the process two of our fragile ornaments were broken. Grrr.

Great blog, you have been on my reader for almost 2 years now!

Jennifer said...

Pretty ornaments, lots of sparkle.

Jenny said...

I love homemade ornaments! My mom and I made some a few years ago with acrylic paint and clean glass ornaments of all shapes. you "swirl" several of the paint on the inside of the ornament to coat the whole thing and they turned out SO pretty!! Gotta love holiday crafts!! Merry Christmas!

Jenny said...

I love homemade ornaments! My mom and I made some a few years ago with acrylic paint and clean glass ornaments of all shapes. you "swirl" several of the paint on the inside of the ornament to coat the whole thing and they turned out SO pretty!! Gotta love holiday crafts!! Merry Christmas!

StakerSensations said...

I LOVE your ornaments...

I have an advent calender tutorial posted that you could totally do and it will last for the next 10 years plus...


Cissy said...

I'm planning to make some paper birds like those from purlbee. Also, I really like the pinecones, so I might have to try those as well. Garnet Hill has a mitten advent calendar that I would like to try to make out of felt, but maybe next year, or the next, or when I'm a grandma.

Thanks for all the ideas!


TEAM RYAN- Fight CANCER together! said...

Ooooo, I love ALL things glittery! I'm liking that snowflake a LOT! THANKS for the great ideas :)

Nadine said...

hi jill...you don't know me but i follow your blog and i love all of your cute ideas. i wondered if you know of a good place where i can find some cute hand puppet templates. i'm making my boys a doorway puppet theatre and i would like to make them the puppets for the 3 little pigs and goldilocks and the 3 bears. so i need some cute pigs, bears, a wolf, and a girl. i'll check back later to see if you have any ideas of where to go to find these. thanks so much.

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Your onaments are beautiful... Just made a nativity and am pleased... Now I need to get out a few more deocrations!

Atticelf said...

Love all the shine and glimmer!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

Wow! I love your blog. Imagine my delight when I saw you mention one of my little projects! What a treat!!


JaneyJ said...

I love the felt ornament! We give out handmade Christmas ornaments at our Christmas party every year and am looking forward to making this one!

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Love them!

ChellyRae said...

The felt ornament at Zakka life would be pretty with a nice bead at each connection.

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
might , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you haven`t ever dreamt of such a chance to become rich
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your choice That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://zicakimigu.ibnsites.com/uxalaj.html
and go! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Kari @ Ucreate said...

Hey Jill,
I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I featured these in my favorite ornament collection on Ucreate!

Sarah said...

Love the glitter! I love how easy they are to make!
Not interested in taking 10 years to make an advent calendar? I made one and posted it on my blog - very easy to make.


pam said...

Jill! Thank you for the lovely link and kind words. I just learned of your link from a blogger who left a recipe on my cookie recipe swap and when i wrote to thank you she mentioned she had found me through a link on your site!

Got so tickled reading the comments - I must check the wording of that post. - It surely didn't take 10 years to make - it took me ten years to get around to making it!

I am glad to have found you - even thru this roundabout way! Love your blog and I will be back to visit!

pam said...

Sent that last too fast! i wanted to mention that I love your sparkly ornaments. You have really done a great job on them and they are worth keeping forever.

Cuttysark said...

I love your homemade christmas decorations. I will be diy my decors as well this year, thanks for the idea.


Christmas Decorations