SYTYC, Toy Society Drop, and UCreate award, apologies, and other year-end wrap-ups

Hi friends!  I hope you all had a very merry Christmas and other happy holidays.  I really didn't mean to take most of the month of December off ... it just kind of happened.  With the new year rapidly approaching, I figured it was time to get back on the horse!

First, an update on So You Think You're Crafty.  Today is the last day to vote on this week's theme, Gifts.  I really enjoyed making my project this week.  With only four crafters left in the competition, I think it is getting easier and easier to spot who made what.   Which project is your favorite this week?

In week 5, I made the "Snowed-In" Ornament, and in week 6, I did the Printable Mitten Gift Tags.  I know the holidays are behind us, but I'll be posting the printable (which actually could still be appropriate during the winter months) and the tutorial for the ornament in January.

Speaking of tutorials, I owe some of you an apology.   Many readers have requested the Plush Tractor tutorial from my first week on SYTYC, hoping to make it as a Christmas gift.  I am really sorry that I didn't get it up in time!  The problem was, I lost the main tractor pattern piece ... I looked everywhere for it and finally decided it must have been thrown away.  But good news!  I started taking down my Christmas tree, and found the pattern piece hanging out in one of my Christmas decoration boxes.  Happy day!  So I am working on that and plan to have it up next week.  Better late than never, right?

This year I participated in The Toy Society's Worldwide Christmas Drop.  You can see my toy drop here.  We walked up to the Santa Barbara Mission and left a Black Apple doll hanging on the fence post at the nativity (which was awesome and included a sheep, goat, and our very favorite ... a mini donkey and baby mini donkey.  eee!)

 Not to rub it in, but this is what Santa Barbara looks like on Christmas Eve:
(photo courtesy of my sister-in-law, Holly)


I missed having a snowy, wintery Christmas for about 5 minutes, and now I'm over it and enjoying the sunshine.



In other happy news, my Quiet Book Templates post was named one of the Top Ten Tutorials of 2009 on UCreate.  What a fun surprise, and I'm in such great company!  Check out the full list for some great tutorials to add to your to-do list.


Finally, can I just say thanks for reading my blog this year?  There are a lot of places to go on the internet, and certainly no shortage of craft blogs these days, so I'm really honored that you stop by to visit mine.  Thanks for your encouraging comments, your lovely emails, and your bloggy friendship.  It means a lot to me!  Happy New Year, and here's to a crafty 2010.

post signature

30 comments:

Lena said...

I love reading your blog Jill! I am glad you are back to blogging. Sadly, the SYTYC site makes my computer freeze, so I have never been able to vote for you, but I am glad you have made it this far! Good luck!

Lynette said...

Those are cute donkeys! Happy New Year Jill!!!

Lynette

Melanie said...

Jill! Thanks for sharing your blog with us. You are a super inspiration!

Happy New Year!

Atticelf said...

Happy 2010, Jill! I'm relatively new to your blog but have really enjoyed it.

Your pics of Sta Barbara made me homesick - I lived there for 12 years before moving up to WA. Sigh...

:) All the best in the new year!

Jodi said...

Jill,
I'm not sure I have ever commented on your blog before. I just wanted to say I really enjoy all your amazing craft ideas. I think out of the many blogs I read, I have used the most ideas from yours. Everything is very well explained and easy for the novice crafter. Keep the great ideas coming in 2010!

Anonymous said...

I'm making a black apple doll this week for my granddaughter's b-day. Thank you for the link. I'm so happy I found your blog.

Crissy said...

so glad you are back! I've missed your blog posts. I too am not able to log onto the SYTYC site, my computer is still convinced it is virus laden - but I hope you win!

crissy

http://crissybell.blogspot.com

Angela said...

Glad you are back! I'm a lurking reader, but I've missed your posts!

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for a tutorial for the snowed-in ornament - I thought it was the cutest thing, and would love to make some. (Actually after Christmas is better, because then there's no stress to get it done!)

Kristal
(Google hates me, and will never let me sign in.)

brookb said...

I really love your blog and you inspired me to make the black apple dolls for my little girl for Christmas and a felt farm playhouse! I'm excited to see what you inspire in me for 2010! Thanks for all of the patterns and tutorials!

Jessica said...

Thank you so much for inspiring me. I love checking your blog and seeing what your creating. I made the jingle balls and black apple dolls for my daughter for Christmas and she loves them! I can't wait to see what you'll create this year. :)

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com
justenoughstyle.etsy.com

lifeinredshoes said...

I think your tutorials are the best, glad other people do too!
And don't you just love Santa Barbara? I do. Have you made it up to Solvang?
Oh, and go take a tour of the S.B. courthouse, it's beautiful.
Happy New Year, and happy crafting!

Brittany said...

Jill, I'm really going to miss you on SYTYC. I've enjoyed all your crafts. And... my son even got his own toy car caddy for Christmas, made by my sister! I'm trying to talk her into submitting the pictures for you to see. Thanks for all the fun inspiration!

Sarah - Roots and Wings said...

Aw, shoot! I really didn't want you to get eliminated this week (or ever!)

Thanks for all your awesome projects! Keep up the good work!!

Sarah Mae said...

I just want to tell you that I think you are fantastic and I love love love your blog!

Just thought I'd let you know! :)

janette said...

knew the dolls were yours last week...i recognized the painting from Oscar's birthday candle holder. I was sad to see you leave!

Olive Tree Guitar Ensemble said...

Hi, it's a very great blog.
I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
Keep doing!

Brandy @ The Moody Fashionista said...

I've been an avid fan of your blog for some time and was so happy to see the pics of our mission. Then I checked your profile and saw that you live here too!

I'm a SB native and am so happy to see another fabulous crafter in our town! If your ever up for getting together for coffee just shoot me an email.

Keep up the amazing work!
~Brandy

www.themoodyfashionista.blogspot.com
www.socialbutterflies.etsy.com

Chad & Bonny Day said...

I have been following the SYTYC site ever since you told us you were one of the Crafters. Every week I would go to the site and try to guess which one was yours and vote for it..I think I got it right every week except for the Glitter Wreath Week and I voted for that anyways! Now that you are no longer one of the crafters, it's not as exciting! Oh well! You did great! I love, love, love your site!! Thanks for all the cute posts!

The Cahoons! said...

Hi Jill I'm a fan of yours. I'm bummed you're out of SYTYC. You have so many cute things. I made the car caddy for my nephew for Christmas. Once I blog about it I'll give you my link! Thanks for the ideas and tutorials. I'll be coming back to your blog for more, so keep up the good work!

The Cahoons! said...

P.S. I also made your crayon roll for my son's stocking.

jess said...

I LOVE YOUR BLOG...so i am nominating you for a lemonade stand award!

The Lemonade Stand Award is awarded for being a blogger who shows great attitude and gratitude.

here are the details! Thanks for inspiring me and so many others!

http://theadventuresofroryandjess.blogspot.com/2010/01/lemonade.html

Mrs. Money said...

Just found your blog. I'll have to say I am totally jealous of your weather!

The Cahoons! said...

Here is the post from the car caddy I made. Thanks again! http://thecahoons.blogspot.com/2010/01/hot-wheels-car-caddy.html

Mindy said...

Hey there Jill! I'm new to your blog, although I am not entirely sure how I got here! I just wanted to say that you have fantastic ideas. I only wish I were crafty. I'd like to give some of your easier crafts a try. I'm due in March and have a friend due in April, so I think I may attempt to make some of your burp cloths. Thanks for the ideas.

Mindy

I'm a full-time mummy said...

Oh wow! I'm so glad I found your blog! There's so many nice stuff you have here! I'm your newest follower btw! :D

Abi said...

cool blog :)

Jeremy and Heidi said...

Jill, I love your blog. I think I came across it from One Pretty Thing and have been a follower ever since this summer!

Thanks for all the inspiration on cute toys for boys! I loved your blocks so much I made a version of them for my son for Christmas. I linked my post to your blog. Now I've got to get working on a quiet book for my kids!!

Thanks for the wonderful ideas!

http://thescubas.blogspot.com

Kim at Polka Dot Thought said...

Thanks for always sharing your wonderful ideas. Glad to see you won an award from Ucreate! That is so great!!

Anyway, I have a ton of blog reading to catch up on--I was MIA for a couple months, but I'm back! :)

If you get a chance, check out my latest post on Faith :)

http://polkadotthought.blogspot.com/2010/01/faith-in-new-year.html

Thank you for your continual support!

Tiffany said...

I LOVED your Russian gift dolls (forgot what you called them)! I have always wanted to make some myself, though your painting skills put mine to shame. I can't believe you didn't win that SYTYC round! Is there a chance you'll be posting a tutorial for the dolls?

Yours is actually the first craft blog I ever saw-- I stumbled upon it on accident, and all of your projects got me hooked! A year later, I am now irreversibly addicted to all things cute and homemade! Thanks for all the inspiration!