Pom Pom Tips (and other handmade party details)


 I had lots of questions on the tissue pom poms in the last post.  They are super easy - it's a Martha project! (and not one of those Martha projects where you wonder who in their right mind would ever try it.)

Having made dozens of them over the years, I feel like there are a few tips of the trade I can share with you:
  • 8 pieces of tissue paper looks great in the small poms, but the larger ones actually need about 10 sheets to look nice and full
  • Use smaller fan folds in the tissue paper - about an inch wide for the small size and no larger than 2 inches for the big ones (I try to fold mine at about an inch and a half)
  • Make sure those folds are really creased!  After folding the length of my tissue, I always go back and press the creases again with my fingers, making sure it gets through all the layers.  The better the pom holds its crease when it is fluffed, the better it will look.
  • Tie your length of string for hanging to your loop before fluffing the pom (so you don't have to dig for it later).
  • Always fluff the poms from the center and resist touching the edges, and pull the layers apart one sheet at a time, one crease at a time.  To get a good grip, I hold the pom on the crease directly behind the one I'm fluffing (hope that makes sense!)
  • Fluff one side of the pom completely before moving on to the opposite side.  This also means they will lay flat if you need to transport them.  For my party, I fluffed one side of the poms at home, and then completed them on location.  If you try to transport them fully fluffed, they are sure to get smashed.
  • Hang immediately!  :)
They look especially nice if you have a fan or air conditioner running in the room, making the poms spin slowly.  It is mesmerizing!

A great place to buy tissue paper in bulk is Paper Mart.  They have a nice variety of colors, and the price can't be beat.

We also made these gray table runners with sprinkled confetti to decorate the tables.  I already had our color scheme picked out when I saw this post on The Crafts Dept. blog.  Talk about perfect timing!  I promptly ordered a roll of 12" bogus paper.

Instead of fringing the edges, we punched it (or rather, my friend Nancy punched it) with a scalloped edge paper punch.  I'll be honest - it took her a long time.  But it looked great!

I also made a trivia quiz game to put at each place setting, and the ladies filled it out during dinner.  I got the idea from this baby shower featured at Hostess with the Mostess.

I have so many projects in progress right now, my head is spinning - another maternity refashion, a home decor project, and something for Oscar are all in the works.  Not to mention the fact that his play kitchen has been on our deck, half finished, for almost two months.  Oh, and there is that whole Easter holiday I should probably prepare for.  :)

21 comments:

christa said...

Thank you for the tips! I am getting ready to make a handful for a baby shower next week, I'll be sure to post pictures!

sariqd said...

I'm laughing as I type because it was through your blog last year, that I used the tutorial and hung up these pom-poms for a "Spring Fling" dance at church. I wish I had known to hang them up immediately. We just figured it was TISSUE paper - hence, LIGHT enough that they wouldn't squash each other. Um. No. Then, as we did the big ones, we discovered that you can't hang them on the same line as it pulled the line down and they all clumped together about 5 feet from the floor. Detrimental to dancing. So, word to the wise? Hang them up individually.

Lucia said...

im really glad you posted this! i recently found these on MarhtaStewart.com and wanted to replicate them for my daughters first birthday party, which is garden themed! I now know where to go to purchase the paper! thanks!

Sarah said...

Jill, We are constantly on the same page! It makes me laugh sometimes to read your posts because I'm working on such similar projects!! Kindred spirits I guess!

http://createstudio.blogspot.com/2010/03/shower-sneak-peek.html

Christina said...

Wow! Those pom-poms are cool. They look like giant dahlias.

Rachel H. said...

I think you did a beautiful job, but I think you are crazy for putting that much effort into an RS dinner, don't think I would want anyone on my committee to spend so much time! Hopefully it didn't for you, no doubt it was memorable for all the ladies!

Patty's Stitches said...

These are too pretty! I can't wait to make some.

Gifts Created said...

I made some of these well 120 for my sisters engagement party they were amazing so effective. I got the idea from the one and only Martha too...

Lynette said...

Those are super cute! Check out my blog for a little sunshine coming your way.
craftdiscovery.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

We used the same pompoms for my parents anniversary party and they were a HUGE hit! Everyone just loved them (and thought I was a genius for making them) :)

Great looking party!

Krista said...

Thanks for the tips - I was going to make them for my son's 2nd bday next month. Now hopefully they will actually turn out!

Cissy said...

Love this...may have to use for future RS activities. Thanks for documenting the fun!

Brittany@twocrazycupcakes said...

Just found you! Loveyour blog and all your ideas! This is great! I want to use these for my daughter's birthday. Thanks for the tips!

Dana Bradshaw said...

Hey a friend menitoned your blog to me and I love your projects. I saw the accordion divider even before the RS anouncement and I knew this had to be an LDS Chapel. Just thinking- maybe you could link to a church website on your blog (lds.org, mormon.org, etc). I mean, hey it's good p.r. already. : ) you have a popular blog! Ah, how the blogging has provided good missionary opportunities

Ange said...

Jill, I'm trying to hang these up in my kids' room and not sure how to go about it. I'll be hanging them up above a crib like this. Any tips?
http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/hadley-kohens-shared-stripe-stunnernursery-and-kid-room-tour-109528

Nina Serene said...

I also want to hang some in a nursery. I'm wondering how to hang them up. I have heard push pins. Will they stay in the celling. The last thing I want is my baby getting bonked on the head and then swallowing a push pin.

Jill said...

Nina Serene -

A push pin would probably hold it, but I wouldn't risk it above a crib. Scotch tape also works well and would be much less dangerous if it fell down.

I hang my poms and mobiles in my son's nursery from eye hooks that you can buy at the hardware store. You have to screw them into the ceiling, so they are very secure.

lyzzjones said...

Funny how I randomly googled paper pom poms and your blog came up and you are LDS! Me too! Thought that was funny thanks for the help!

Somer said...

Do you still have the quiz from the picture? I was just looking for something to do at our RS birthday celebration and thought it was worth asking. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever used different sizes of tissue paper other than the one specified by Martha? I have a ton of paper that is about 25" square. Do you think this would do just fine?

jane said...

What r the questions on your quiz??
Janelsmith.jls@gmail.com