baby craft quickies

I had a funny conversation with my sweet husband recently.  He came home to see this onesie on the kitchen table:

To which he said, "Really, Jill?  A ruffle?  It's already a onesie."  (Meaning, onesies are inherently cute as they are, so why do they need embellishing?)

To which I  laughed and said (a little sheepishly), "turn it over."

weeee!

(he was appalled). 

I really don't see the problem.  :)  In fact, when we found out we were having a girl, one of the first things I said was, "now I can put ruffles on everything!"  If you love ruffles on babies, try out the ruffle butt onesie  tutorial found on UCreate.  To make the project even quicker, I used jersey fabric so I could leave the edges of the ruffles raw (no hemming or serging required).

Another item recently crossed off my to-do list is dying onesies. It was a lot easier than I thought (I used the stovetop method for RIT powder dye) and I now have a little stash of pink onesies (and a very pink wooden spoon).  Jared thinks it would be easier to just buy them pink.  True, but where is the fun in that?  :)

The pink was cute, but it needed something more.  That's where the petals came in.  It's like J-Crew for infants:
Petal collar shirts are everywhere these days, but here's a tutorial to check out on heylucy.   I used the same heart-shaped petals, but went the lazy route and just machine stitched them to the onesie, sans gathers.

Want another quick baby craft?  I've posted about these before, but baby legwarmers are having a little comeback at our house.  I made three pairs last night!  They only take 10 minutes a pair.

You can find a tutorial on Flickr by Baby Hopes.   My favorite place to buy socks for craft projects is the Gap, because they come in the cutest prints and colors and are a nice, thick sock.  I just wait until they go on sale and stock up - these were only $1.99 each.

Babylegs are really cute with petal onesies:

Pants are overrated.

As you can see, I've been having a lot of fun with the 30 minutes or less baby projects this week.  But there has been something else that has been keeping me busy.  It is really cute.  And new and different (I hope ... I've been wrong before).  Oscar LOVES it, but it's not for him.  And it comes with a tutorial ... next week!



  

42 comments:

Cole's Corner said...

A.dor.a.ble. Everything... especially that little toy. Is it a cat? Oh... I hope it's a cat!

Katie said...

So many cute things! I think making baby items is the most fun!!

Kelli said...

I LOVE the pink onesie with the babylegs. I might need to have a new baby soon, just for an excuse...

Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

oh my gosh- all of these super fun and cute!

ThE RaSmUsSeN's said...

I heart your blog. I'm having a girl in september, and every project I've made so far was inspired by you. THANK YOU

Western Warmth said...

I love it!

cArLa said...

i love the ruffles and flowers on onesies... you did an amazing job... if i have a girl, i will definitely add ruffles and flowers to her onesies!

Sara said...

so cute! I really love the onesie with the leg warmers. Tell Jared that finding pink onesies is really difficult, especially ones that don't break the bank;) Hand dying is the best!

**Amy** said...

Fun! Makes me want another baby...almost! Can't wait for the next project.

Matt and Hilary said...

I have got to make these! So cute! How many do you think I can make before my due date June 9th? Thanks for the great ideas and links!!

Kristi @ Creative Kristi said...

hahaha you & I think alike! I JUST posted yesterday all my girlie baby crafts I completed! (I'm due on the 4th) and wouldn't you know it..I dyed onesies pink & made baby legs (among a lot of other things lol)
Thanks for sharing the tip about Gap for socks...I get mine at Target (for the variety) but a thicker sock would be nice in the winter. I'd love for you to come check out my baby crafts! :)

maddmomma said...

You are such an inspiration! Yeay to dying! And I'm guessing that the cute stuffed animal is a bunny! Do I win???

Tricia said...

Thanks for sharing your projects with us. I love the baby leg warmers, I am a gap clearance shopper myself. It is nice to see you had success with dying fabrics...The Rit dye has been calling my name lately, but I just haven't been brave enough to try it.

Tricia leafytreetopspot.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Men just don't understand :)

Love the sneak peek, I'm excited!

Polly said...

Love the ruffles and the petal ruffles! I've been too scared to try dying clothes...I'm worried about it bleading on other clothes in the wash. Have you had a problem with it?

littlebuttondesigns said...

Oh my goodness. The ruffles are AMAZING!! How I long for a girl so I can cover everything in ruffles.

You are such an inspiration. I have tried out many of your projects and am currently uber-excited about making a playhouse for my boy for his 1st birthday.

Thanks! xx

Lauren said...

I love those petals! And how else would you get them to match exactly without dyeing? Your girl is going to be such a princess! :)

Joy said...

Love your petal onesie! saving that for a shower gift!

The Cahoons! said...

Adorable ruffles! I'm crossing my fingers this next baby of mine is a girl.

Lizzy @ Lizzy Designs said...

They're all such sweet ideas! I'm really excited about the tutorial! :)

Robin said...

This post just makes me want to have a baby! So cute I love the butt ruffle onsie

LOVE TO STITCH BEE TREE DESIGNS said...

A sock bunny, how cute!!!!! And an A+ on the ruffled onsie and baby leg warmers!!!!

stephanie said...

Oh man, Jill. Oh man. I want everything on this post!! (And every post, let's be honest.) I love anything with ruffles - they just make life better. I can't wait to see your darling girl in these darling clothes!

The Stringham 5 said...

VERY cute, Jill. I love them! Too bad I can't put a ruffle onesie on my baby boy!

agirlfromlaredo said...

I love the legwarmers! and the cute ideas for the onesies! thanks for sharing :-)

Christina

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I am so in love/obsessed/stalking your blog! I'm your newest follower! = )

Jessica said...

I love everything! You almost had me convinced to have another baby (I already have one girl and one boy) . . . but my husband would probably be appalled by that idea. So I'll just have to live vicariously through you and your little girl!!

Naturalearthfarm said...

I just love the ruffles! Great idea and warm wishes, Tonya

Jill said...

I laughed so hard at the ruffle butt onsie!! That's deadly!

Kelsey said...

LOVE the ruffles! While I love my son, I do wish that I could plaster baby clothes in ruffles.

Jen said...

The "JCrew baby" onesie and baby legs are enough to make me want another baby. Just to hope it's a girl so I can dress her in that outfit. Is that wrong? (I can hear the conversation with my husband now... ) Out of control cute!

Kimmie @ live fancy. said...

This post is genius. And just in time for the baby shower I am attending tomorrow...err...today...(when did midnight show up?!}. YAY for rad last-minute gifts. :)

Marta said...

Love your website! Can't wait for the tutorial!!!!! I can make my first Cat or bunny... not sure which one it is.. for a little girls that is only 2 weeks old... oh how fun!!! Can't wait! I hope its beginner friendly!

Abby's Mom said...

Love your stuff! But I also had to comment that we have the EXACT same wedding ring. Haha!

Annie said...

Ruby's going to be the best dressed girl on the block!

Katie Miller said...

I love your ruffles! I have an etsy shop were I just recently released my new dress and skirt collection called "Ruffles"!! Its so fun! Check it out!
www.SewSimplySweetShop.etsy.com

Lisa said...

Ok, Jill, as the mother of 2 girls, I can tell you that you're easing into the mom-of-a-girl role quite well! :) Babylegs, ruffle butts, and pink onesies are all a MUST. :)

Bridget said...

so cute!! i am so impressed by DIY-queens, and i think, after checking out your blog, that you are oneof them.

baby gifts said...

I agree that making baby stuff is a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing this great project with us. I can’t wait for your more great ideas. Nice job! :)

Leigh said...

I absolutely love the ruffles! SO cute...and your version of baby J.Crew is fabulous. just found your blog and i love it! thanks for sharing your creatively cute ideas!

the kitchen curtains said...

Great idea with the ruffled onesie! With a new niece on the way I have been working hard to embellish and applique onesie after onesie, my readers may be getting tired of the onesie crafts but I'll have to give this a try too. Thanks!

Shaela said...

LOVE!!! I am looking for the tutorial on Flickr that you mentioned but can't find it... says it's a private page. :( Can you give me some basic directions? Thanks so much!