car party favor bags

The Riley Blake Wheels fabric collection is probably one of my all time favorite lines of fabric.  It is getting harder to find yardage these days, but I have a big stash of fat quarters on hand ... and it just happens to be the world's perfect fabric for Oscar's car party.


We are keeping this party very small, so with only a handful of kids coming, I had time to sew cute favor bags.  They are the world's easiest drawstring bag filled with a few little goodies (car crayons, a matchbox car, some stickers and a thank you note - inspired by this favor box at Blonde Designs Blog).


Dana has a fab tutorial for a drawstring bag, the Hobo Sack, on her blog, MADE.  I do mine differently, but the end result is essentially the same.  Maybe I'll show you how I make mine someday, but not today.  Today you can learn from Dana.  :) I have more party planning to do!



p.s.  if you are looking for yards of Wheels fabric, check etsy.  I found some at Fernandina Fibers.

18 comments:

Michelle said...

Very cute! I love how they are all similar but individual, too.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness I love these! I love the fabric and I love that they can be reused for cars and other little treasures.

likeschocolate said...

You are amazing. These are fantastic!

Alys said...

How big are these bags? I think it is a super cute idea for the party favors. Thanks for sharing.

Mary Beth said...

These are adorable! I love them!

Katie @ Hippos and Dinosaurs said...

I love Riley Blake! And I love that you used grosgrain ribbon. I have recently posted a super easy gift bag too, found here: http://hipposanddinosaurs.blogspot.com/2010/08/party-gift-bags-tutorial.html

Have fun at the party!!

dana said...

such fun fabrics! And thank you for the links. You're always good to me that way :)

sewfearless.com said...

I love those fabrics. I want to make a little boys quilt out of them.

What a sweet favor for your guests.

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Such cute bags!

boomie said...

Very nice!

Julia said...

Cute bags! I still have quite a bit of this adorable fabric in my shop at www.thedizzydaizy.com. Check us out!

k. davis said...

cute idea!! I have huge amounts of this fabric line, or I should say, most Riley Blake's fabric being over here in Korea (where the factory is)... let me know if you ever need more ;)

Sascha said...

I'll definitely keep this in mind. Kids love bags they can use over and over to stash "stuff"

shawn said...

i LOVE this fabric. So adorable!!!!

mami said...

WOW!! It's a very good idea!!! The fabric is very nice!!! :-)

Handmade Mommy said...

These work great for when your on the go in the morning with your kiddos, you can put their dry cereal in it, and head out for the day!

Justin said...

We just made a similar bag out of an old shirt for our daughter!

these care bags look great, my 7 year old wants a car party for his birthday and those would be great for the party favors.

Great ideas!

Lindsay said...

These are darling! I'd love for you to share you tutorial one of these days. I've wanted to make drawstring bags for my boys for some time now, but I'm such a novice at sewing that even something this basic is daunting. :)