hot chocolate gift tins

Last night, the ladies at my church got together for a little holiday kick-off - complete with crafts!  I was in charge of putting together two holiday craft ideas.  The first was hot chocolate gift tins.

I saw these tins last holiday season on the Blonde Design Blog.  Kristin was nice enough to provide labels and a source for the tins, so all I had to do was follow her lead.  :)

The beauty of crafting as a group is you can buy in bulk.  We made well over 100 tins last night, and the cost of each kit (minus the cocoa) came to only about $1.  Each kit included:

  • 8 ounce tin - Paper Mart
  • Hot Chocolate label - Blonde Designs Blog
  • clear cello bag (2 1/2 inches long, 2 inches wide, 6 inches tall) - Paper Mart
  • white scallop seal - I used a Martha Stewart Scallop Punch on full-sheet label paper to make stickers to seal the cello bags.  You can find full-sheet label paper at any office supply store.
  • length of baker's twine - Supply Owl
  • punched gift tag - I glued holiday-print scrapbook paper to white cardstock and punched using a gift tag-shaped punch
You can fill the tins with store-bought or homemade hot chocolate mix.  It is the perfect small gift for teachers, neighbors, or co-workers.  Homemade marshmallows would make a delicious companion to this gift! 

Speaking of marshmallows, last night I had sweet potatoes (topped with marshmallows) that were so delicious, I wasn't even sad that I couldn't eat pie for dessert.  I just had another scoop of potatoes.  mmm ... sweet potatoes.  I love Thanksgiving.

19 comments:

Kim's Treasures said...

I love this idea! This weekend my daughter and I are making something very similar, we are using canning jars though. Who doesn't love hot chocolate! How nice of you to do this craft with your church ladies!

Gabby said...

Awesome!

bethanndodd said...

What a great idea (and cute too!) Thanks for sharing!

Janelle said...

Glad this worked out! They look awesome. Soooo excited for sweet potatoes.

Rhiannon said...

such a great idea! thanks for sharing! and where to get the goods too!

Catey said...

Oh-these would make the perfect neighbor gifts! What size tin did you use?

Anonymous said...

Super cute...dying to know what the other craft idea was...

Alyssa G. :)

bagfashionista said...

love it! i'm going to make this for my daughter's daycare teachers and some co-workers! Thanks for the great ideas!

Chelsea said...

VERY cute! Love them!

giozi said...

Just I did this week a post about punches :( because I bought something wrong, snif snif, I'm really sad now.
I need a gift label punch in a good size.

Alicia said...

Thank you for this awesome idea! I'll definitely be making these for the neighbors! I love it! Thanks for explaining where to get everything as well, I wouldn't have known where to start!

RootsAndWingsCo said...

I have a bunch of tins I will be doing something with this Christmas. I LOVE this idea! Thanks!
Rebecca@RootsAndWingsCo

Robert and Cassie said...

Super cute! I will definitely have to make these in the future! What size tin did you use?

homemade by jill said...

I used the eight ounce tin. It's in the post in the list of kit supplies. ;)

Catey said...

lol! Apparently I was so excited I linked right to the tins and totally skimmed past the 8oz part. doh! THanks! :)

Jenn said...

These are so cute! I just found your blog and I love all your fun crafty ideas!

Pamela said...

Just adorable. I can't wait to make them. Thank you for providing all the links. That's a gift to me!

Georgia Hall said...

I know this is last year's post, but I just found it and I love it! I give my hot chocolate mix in boring old jars, but not any more! I put your photo and a link on my Firday Friends! post on my blog. I know others will enjoy it, too. Thanks for sharing your cute ideas.

matiurrahman0011 said...

LollyMail is a unique gift service that guarantees to send a smile. The world in search of the best chocolate gifts, chocolate gifts delivered, gifts delivered for Valentine's Day.