advent sew-along: ornament templates

It's your lucky day, advent friends!  A very generous reader, Julie, emailed me with advent ornament templates that she drew herself.   Wasn't that nice?  So instead of waiting around for me to get my ornaments going, you can all benefit from Julie's artistic talent.  Thanks, Julie!   She based many of her ornaments off the Inchmark Advent, and came up with several designs herself.

Julie recommends saving the images and then importing them into a Microsoft Word document to print.  Set the layout of the page to landscape and then size the two JPEG images to 8.5 inches wide, and the ornaments should be just right to fit a 2.5 inch square pocket on the advent calendar.



I am also making a few different ornaments, so I'll post templates for those when they are ready.  This should give you plenty to work off of in the meantime!  Thanks again to Julie for sharing her work - you can check out her other crafts at her blog, Little Jack's Corner.

Also, many of you asked how large to cut your tree.  Mine is basically going to be about 17 inches wide at the bottom and approximately 17 inches at the tallest point.  The shape is still to be determined.  I like the simplicity of the Inchmark design, but am also drawn to this whimsical tree shape from Pottery Barn Kids:


The beauty of sewing your own advent is your tree can be as big as you want, in whatever shape you want!  Go crazy.  Mix it up.  ;)  Can't wait to see what you all create.

18 comments:

Lindsey said...

Love your blog and read all the time..you have inspired me to sew more than I thought I could! My hubby and I made this from scratch last year ( no templetes) and although these pics are before it was complete ( no star or trunk yet) and would like to add some embroidery...here ya go. (( SCROLL DOWN IN POST... its the LAST TWO pics! ))
Thanks!
http://arewardfromhim.blogspot.com/2009/12/oh-christmas-tree-oh-christmas-tree.html

lmlarrison786@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Julie, for the ornament templates! Any idea how to do that super awesome wreath??

Steph said...

Thanks for the process you are using! I'm planning on doing this for next year, since my little one is still a bit young for advent calendars. I think this advent is my favorite I have seen out of all of them!

Loren, Matt & Kaine said...

I just started this project. I wasn't sure I was going to do it, because I am in the middle of making gifts for my family for Christmas. But, I thought, "Why not make us a gift we can all enjoy?!" Plus I had a ton of left over felt from the card table felt playhouse I made last year!! Thanks :)

CraftyMummy said...

Gorgeous! I just did a whole post of advent calendar ideas but now I'll have to do another post to add yours ;)

Flo said...

I just discover your blog and it's full of lovely ideas...
Thanks a lot and have a sweet week-end...

Louise said...

Damn you, now I have to go make one of these! (grumble moan, too beautiful to forget about!!!) Must stop reading blogs!!!!!!!!

Holly said...

I have a tip for using templates. I print them directly on freezer paper (cut a piece of freezer paper to 8.5X11, tape it to a regular piece of copy paper and then run it through my inkjet printer). Then, you can cut roughly around your shape, iron the shape to a bit of felt and then cut right on the line. I found that much easier than cutting out shapes out of paper or cardstock, then tracing onto felt and cutting again.

Jennifer said...

A few years ago a friend of mine copied the Pottery Bard Advent Calendar, adding her own touch. http://nerd-bucket.blogspot.com/2008/12/finished-result.html
So I started my own last year, But sadly ran out of time. Maybe I should pull it out and go for it before this year passes us by.

Amy said...

How nice of Julie to share her talents as well! Thank you! :)

Julie said...

Holly, thanks for the great tip! I was wondering if you could print on freezer paper. That's going to make it much easier!

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenn said...

If any of your readers is looking for a full pattern for a magnetic nativity advent calendar, I am selling them on my etsy shop. It's another way of having Christ the center of Christmas! http://www.etsy.com/listing/61623856/magnetic-christmas-nativity-advent

Amanda said...

You are on the Crafting Crow today. Saw it on my facebook newsfeed.

Also, I am joining this fun event! Although, my husband broke our bed yesterday and I am "Mrs.Fix it" so I have that project on my hands tonight. However, I am sure the bed wouldnt have broke if I had put it together correctly in the first place ;-)

Hanneke Nelson said...

I am working very hard on my advent calender! Working with what I already have, I decided to use burlap as the background.

Thanks for the inspiration, cannot wait to see all the finished results.

Louisa said...

Thanks for sharing the ornament templates. I'm tempted to make a set to do along with the calendar that I made.

Lorna said...

Love this idea, and I'm sewing right along with you. I have hopes or making 4 of these - 1 for each of my 3 children, and one for my nephews, so I'm doing it assembly line style.

I'm pretty awful at handsewing, so I've been using my embroidery macine to do the pockets, and I want to get started on the ornaments, but I'm not sure how to actually assemble them. Are you cutting two pieces of felt for each ornament and sewing them together? Are you using batting in between? I'm going to try to use my machine as much as possible for the ornaments...we'll see!

Thanks so much - Love your blog! Love, Love, love! LOVE.

Kids craft ideas said...

So cute! i love it very much, thanks for sharing.