diaper cake - an oldie, but a goodie

Get ready for some baby-themed goodness in the next several posts.  I helped with a friend's baby shower this week and one of the things I made was a diaper cake using my original diaper cake tutorial.

I did fudge the supplies a bit.  Instead of using a telescoping mail tube, I substituted two heavy weight cardboard tubes.  One was a wrapping paper tube (again, heavy weight - the flimsy ones won't work well), and the other was the tube from inside a roll of Silhouette vinyl.  Waste not, want not!  They need to be two different sizes so one fits inside the other.  The tubes hold the cake layers together, but they are still easy to separate.

I also changed the way I layered the diapers.  Instead of rolling each diaper individually, I wrapped them around the tubes.  I liked that the edges of the cake were smoother, and it also enabled me to use double the diapers (this cake held 80 size-1 diapers).   It also meant a LOT fewer rubber bands.  Only three large bands used on the whole cake - one for each tier.

I made the banner cake topper on my Silhouette and glued it to two white lolly pop sticks.  The sticks slid right between the diapers and held in place well.


Like the original cake, I decorated this one with paper flowers.  The flower decorations were cut on my Silhouette using the 3-D Ruffle Flower from the online store.  Each flower was glued to a mini clothes pin, so they just clipped onto the outer ribbons on the cake tiers.  Maybe the mama-to-be can find a way to re-use the flowers?  I'd probably attach them to gifts in lieu of bows, or maybe string them together on ribbon to make a cute garland.


Speaking of ribbon, I found that fabulously wide green satin ribbon at Michael's - it is 4 inches wide, which is perfect for a diaper cake because what do you know ... little diapers are also 4 inches wide.


The ribbon was attached with a few straight pins into the back of the cake.


With my extra paper I made a few more flowers as a table decoration and a paper banner to hang.

I knew it was a good looking cake when one of the ladies at the baby shower asked when we were going to cut into it.

Pin It

28 comments:

Forgetful Mom said...

I like the look of this one so much better than when the diapers are rolled. Very very nice. :-)

Tristin @ Two Girls Being Crafty said...

As a mom who has received the "rolled-up and rubber-banded diaper" diaper cake, I'll bet this type is much easier to deconstruct to extract the diapers! Less work to make and less work for the receiving mama--you may be on to something!

Those flowers are awesome.

Kim said...

I love it! I've always wanted to make one, the the mommy-to-be of the shower I'm hosting lives out of town, so it would be hard to transport (or a lot of work just to take right apart) So I've lined a huge Tote Box with them (because it's still better than giving diapers in the original box!)

hannah said...

I love the colors! Where did you get the paper for the flowers?

Shahbaz Ahmad said...

Everyone loves to receive flowers. Give loved ones the gift that will last forever and not wilt away in a matter of weeks.
Flowers

Mandy said...

I make diaper cakes quite often. After each one I was able to change what I thought was silly or going to be difficult for the parent. I think I have it down packed now. I make mine a little different though. I use baby supplies to decorate (bottles, wash clothes, pacis, ect.).

Taylor {Sew Much Love} said...

Seriously so adorable! I can't believe it's a diaper cake! So cute! I think i'll have to make one for my friend's shower in 2 week! Thanks!

Larissa said...

I have never seen a diaper cake look quite as marvelous. HOW stinking lovely!!!!

Just Another Day in Paradise

Diana Smith said...

SO CUTE! I love the green and everything looks so great together!

Justin & Holly Shrode said...

Seriously though, I thought it was real too, only upon closer inspection did I realize it was diapers!!!

sunnie said...

I'm excited to see baby shower posts! 2 of my best friends are due this summer and I've got all kinds of homemade gift ideas! I love this diaper cake, I've made them before, and this one seems so much easier (I did the rolled diapers....not so much fun) and the flowers are so cute!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Amanda Joy said...

This turned out great! I will have to do one for my SIL in August:)

Vanessa said...

Adorable!! My bestie is having her baby in July, and I will keep this in mind! I made a diaper cake before, but I rolled each individual diaper. I will have to try your way this time!

Lil Mama Stuart said...

I'll be posting a diaper cake next week too! Today I posted edible pacifiers...
http://adaywithlilmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/diy-pacifiers-for-baby-shower-dont-say.html

JenniferO said...

Adorable!

Kristen @ {K Leigh Ford} said...

Very beautiful Jill! love everything about it!

Stephanie said...

I first found your blog because of your original diaper cake! I love the improvements (crazy amount of rubberbands was no joke), especially all the ways you've been using your Silhouette!

Theanne... said...

Such a nifty and beautiful idea...

Mandy said...

This is the cutest diaper cake I have ever seen! Thanks for sharing!

Wani said...

I've seen them at showers before but never actually saw how to do them. So cute and easy. Thanks!

Rosy Creations said...

That is such a cute idea, I was looking for inspiration for my next baby shower.

eLBie said...

This is one of the most beautiful diaper cakes I have ever seen! Thank you so much sharing the pictures as well as a how to.

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, but I cringe whenever I see a baby in one of those brain-squeezers. Babies are beautiful enough on their own not to need those kind of gender-affirming adornments. And don't get me started on people who pierce their poor babies' tender young ears!

Sara said...

I was inspired by your post and made a diaper cake for my good friend's baby shower today. One change I made was to use baby goods (bottles of shampoo, cream, etc.) instead of the cardboard tubes as the centers. I didn't have them on hand and I thought my new mommy friend would appreciate having the supplies later on. I think it turned out great!
Here's a link to see what I did! Thanks for the inspiration!
http://www.periwinklepapillion.com/2011/02/12/baby-love/

Metta said...

Jill, I'm new here, but I have to share a trick. I made a diaper cake recently, and as the inner piece, I used a bottle of bubbly! Yeah, I'm Mormon too (I'm assuming...) so I grabbed sparkling cider, but it held everything together so well and I didn't have to mess with tubes, it was narrower at the top where I wanted the top layer to be narrow, it was exactly the height of three layers of diapers, and it was a surprise celebratory drink at the end! Great blog, by the way...

liz said...

Your cake is really cute! I love the banner on top with the two lollypop sticks!

Jack Dylan said...

Diaper cakes are a hot item that make a beautiful and useful gift for parents and are a hit as baby shower centerpieces. They've evolved from the simple designs of the past, which simply used stacks of diapers, grouped into tiers like a cake and tied with ribbon with small baby care items tucked in. Thanks.

Baby Gift Hampers

William Walker said...

I had no idea what they were talking about when I first heard about diaper cakes. Do you usually make these for baby showers? I think it would be nice to have them for a shower.

William | http://www.alldiapercakes.com/