making wall art using vinyl - two ways

As a renter, I'm always looking for temporary ways to add color to my apartment.  In the past, I've even pasted fabric to the wall.  The easiest solution, though, is just to add some bright artwork.  I love taking blank canvases from the craft or art supply store and making something unique. 

I'm not a great artist, so using vinyl has really stepped up my homemade artwork.  For these blue prints, I cut the vinyl design (using my Silhouette) and applied it to a blank white canvas to use like a reverse stencil.  Then I painted right over the top of it.  When the paint was mostly dry, but still a little tacky, I peeled the vinyl away, leaving the white space underneath.  The edges of the canvas were painted brown to add a bit of contrast.

 I propped the pair up on top of a bookshelf to add a pop of color to an otherwise boring corner.


For this dandelion, I cut the vinyl and applied it to the canvas once again.  And that was it!  Talk about easy.  I also cut strips of vinyl and adhered them to the edges of the canvas to give it another dark border.

Check out my past posts to see canvases I covered in tissue paper, and another set I painted for Oscar's nursery.

Pin It

27 comments:

GroovyMoments said...

Those look awesome! I haven't heard of the "silhouette" but I'm definitely going to have to check it out.

Jessica said...

These are so beautiful! I love them both! Such a great idea to use the vinyl on blank canvases. I need to try this out. Thanks for sharing! You always inspire me. :)

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Blueangel Crafts said...

Wow beautiful projects! They look really professional.

Kristen Duke Photography said...

Those are both so beautiful!

Elle said...

Love them both. Where do you get your vinyl?

Kerrie said...

You've basically convinced me to buy a Silhouette with your crafts!

www.kerriewade.blogspot.com

Diana Smith said...

SO pretty! I love the subtle colors and you make it sound so easy!! I am seriously considering buying a silhouette!!

The Smith Circle

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

That blue is absolutely perfect. I love it! I'm suffering from white wall syndrome too. And the landlord painted the walls Flat over Eggshell before we moved in, so we have odd texture stripes all over. Love renting!!!

Clarissa said...

Those are awesome. You really make me want to get a Sihouette.

Lil Mama Stuart said...

love the simple design, looks great and that blue color is so pretty! ready for spring!

Chelsea said...

Yep, yet another reason why I want a Silhouette! These looking amazing! I LOVE the first two prints. Thanks for sharing this!

ladaisi said...

What a great way to add some color to the room!

You know, it's also relatively inexpensive to buy pieces of cut drywall from Lowes or Home Depot. You can even get a wall-sized piece, seal up the edges, and paint the whole thing whatever color you want. . . then sort of prop it up. Of course, with little ones underfoot it's probably best to find another way to keep it against the wall.

Ladaisi Blog

stephanie said...

Jill! I'm in love! This is such a fabulous idea. I am starting to decorate our house (finally, I know) and these are giving me some fabulous ideas. Thank you for being so brilliant!

The Henrich Family said...

very cool.

Handmade Mommy said...

What a fancy idea! LOVE it:)

Christie said...

Great idea, and they look so professional!

Twice The Work said...

I got a silhouette for Christmas and finally broke it out last week to start playing with it! I LOVE these. Thank you for the idea!

Sally with theferriswheels said...

Oh my - these are such great ideas. I LOVE the look on the canvas - first pic belongs in a magazine. Good job!

Natalie said...

These are gorgeous!! Great ideas.

alison said...

I love the artwork! Very nice and so beautiful.

Saba said...

Wow! Those are really pretty. I need to try it one day :)

Tamara said...

great ideas! and how in the world do you keep your place so clean and artsy with two kids?? amazing!

Nicole said...

Those are beautiful! I rent too and I get sooo bored with all these white walls. Now you've got me thinking...

Kim said...

I love these! Where did you find the designs? Did you already have these or did you get them from the silhouette store?

Amanda said...

I've put together a round up of great wall art ieas on Craft Gossip today and included your post. :) You can see it here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/25-awesome-wall-art-ideas/

If you would like a Craft Gossip badge showing you've been featured, you can grab one here :)
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

abi gill said...

Very beautiful...For more variety of nursery wall art for your baby's room you can visit Nursery Wall Art

Katie said...

I guess I'm confused? Where did you get the vinyl? Found you on pinterest and loving the blog!