giddy-up cowboy (and girl) vests

Did you see the tutorial for the Frontier Vest on MADE?  Super cute.  Oscar loves dress up, but our collection mostly consists of Ruby's tu-tu's at this point.  While we are equal opportunity fun around here (no boy-stuff/girl-stuff yet), it was time to beef things up.

 The faux cowhide came from one of my favorite old skirts.  In high school, I was a big fan of animal prints.  :)  I've been saving it for years for just this kind of project!  The denim came from a pair of my husband's jeans and the khaki from another old skirt, so this project was entirely refashioned.

I used Dana's template but added extra seam allowance at all the finished seams. 


Ruby's vest was actually a happy mistake.  I printed the template to the wrong size, and plowed ahead despite it looking rather small.  Luckily it turned out to be a perfect 12 month size!



My kids are not at a happy picture-taking stage.  Ruby can't sit still and Oscar is just kind of uncooperative.  Even with a bribe, this is the best I could get.


Have a great weekend!

21 comments:

Caryn Allen said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Those are adorable! My two year old is starting to see the fun in dress up and I seriously need to build up her dress up clothes collection. Thanks for the ideas!

Joanna said...

So cute! Can you tell me about the babylegs/tights on your little one. They look like upcycled long underwear, which I think would be a great idea. Any tips?

Michelle said...

Action shots just make it that much more real!! Too cute!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Step over Will Rogers and Annie Oakley! They look adorable!! Good job! Jenn

homemade by jill said...

Joanna - the babylegs were just made from a pair of long socks. I like to use this tutorial:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27862796@N03/3212191322/

Jessica said...

oh man, how perfect that you kept that cowhide. And I love a cowgirl too.

Catherine Denton said...

Precious! I love how she's grabbing his hat and he's hanging onto it for dear life.
My Blog

greatjencreations said...

Those are awesome! Love them! (And I love your kids names.)

Rachel said...

Very cute!

It's hard to get pictures of my kids right now too.

Lil Mama Stuart said...

so cute! way to refashion/repurpose!

Tanya said...

That must have been some skirt! Love the vest incarnation. Really cute.

bethanndodd said...

Adorable (and such fun memories!)

dana said...

Oh Jill! these are so great!! I absolutely love them. And so cool that used denim with them. Very fun!

Anonymous said...

Beef it up..heheheheee.. very appropriate considering the cowboy theme. Love both the vests.

Theanne and Baron said...

The kids are adorable...and the vests are GREAT! Love the star and the reused fabric from old clothes...that's fantastic recycling!

Diana Smith said...

This is soo adorable! I love how its gender neutral too!

Dorienne said...

How adorable is it that you saved that skirt and turned it into a fun dress up set for the kids. Lucky cowboy & cowgirl.

julie said...

Those vests are GREAT!!! Now I have yet one more weird item to add to my monthly Goodwill shopping sprees.

the momma-kana said...

I just found your blog by happy chance and am LOVING it! I love this post. We live in Houston and are headed to the Rodeo this week. I am going to try to make this. I also LOVE the belle dress! My toddler is OBsessed! That is so going on my to-do list. You are so smart!

Sab said...

that's so funny! :-) AND nice!!

Diane said...

I see that you made a liner for your vests. Can you give tips on how to do that? I like how you used denim and am planning to do the same.