the spring tote goes all trendy

Have you jumped on the chevron wagon yet?  I found this great chevron print fabric at Fabric.com and knew it was meant for a tote bag.  There is something about spring that gets me sewing these tote bags (which is probably why I named my tutorial the Spring Tote).

For an easy way to add a pocket to the outside of your tote, simply line a pocket up between the straps.  For this pocket, I measured the distance between the straps, and added a little extra so there would be some overlap.  I finished the bottom seam and added bias tape to the top.  You don't really need to finish the side seams, because they will be sewn under the straps.  

Pin the pocket in place and sew the bottom seam to the bag.  Then place your straps, and sew according to the spring tote tutorial, making sure the sides of the pocket get caught in the strap seam.


I usually add inside pockets these days as well.  You can do giant pockets that are sewn into the side seams, or small pockets, like I added here.  A little bias trim on the pocket adds a nice bit of contrast.
Have you made a spring tote?  If so, I'd love to see a picture in the Flickr group!

18 comments:

Pink Stitches said...

You had me at spring tote! I'm such a sucker for bags, love this one!

Holly said...

I'm going to stalk Bobbi and the minute she turns her back it's mine ;)

ificould said...

LOVE how you used this chevron fabric I'm in love with!! I posted a link: http://ificould-ificould.blogspot.com/2011/04/chevron-tote-bag.html

Thanks for sharing!!
Missy & Kimi
if I could...

Tristin @ Two Girls Being Crafty said...

Totally going to make one...

Liz @ LivingMySweetLife said...

How funny, I bought a really pretty set of dishtowels and I planned on using your spring tote pattern to make myself a spring bag this weekend!

Trulie Scrumptious said...

LOVE IT! you are fabulous and your blog is amazing.. My sister and I just started a blog and would be honored if you would come be a follower and leave any helpful tips on making such a fabulous blog!
trulie-scrumptious.blogspot.com
mitchandroz.blogspot.com (family blog)
hope to see you soon!

Dorian said...

Love it! What a clever way to add a pocket without all the fuss! I am in love with your blog, btw!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [09 Apr 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

bethanndodd said...

I have made lots of them! They make the perfect gift at baby showers. Filled with goodies, of course :)

Catherine Denton said...

I have books that would fit perfectly inside!
My Blog

jessica said...

LOVE the chevron pattern. I'm going to have to try this. I just found your blog and have spent the last hour browsing. AMAZING! Thank you!

Perrine said...

very good idea, the pocket between straps !
and congratulations for matching the pocket and the bag's chevron !!

Perrine, regular reader from France

virginiamae said...

Cute! =)

Mumma2s said...

What a cute bag. I love reading about your creations :)
I would live to award you a Kreativ Blogger Award (see http://creating-childhood-memories.blogspot.com/2011/04/kreative-blogger-award.html for more info) Don't feel obliged to pass it on, I just thought I'd share the love and acknowledge all the other Blogs that I love.

Patty's Stitches said...

Beautiful work! I love the fabric.

Ireland said...

hanks for making the trustworthy attempt to provide an explanation for this. I think very sturdy approximately it and wish to learn more. If it's OK, as you reach extra intensive wisdom, may you mind adding extra posts similar to this one with additional info? It might be extraordinarily useful and helpful for me and my colleagues.

Lindsay said...

This is fantastic!! Im so impressed. Love it!

Delighted Momma

Mallory said...

I love chevron print too, and what you did with this tote is fantastic! It turned out beautifully!