i madonnari

Happy Memorial Day! (to all of you in the U.S.)  I didn't spend anytime sewing this weekend, but we did work in two barbeques, a trip to the pool and a visit to this:


I Madonnari, the Italian street painting festival held at the Santa Barbara Mission each year.


We went on the second day, so very few of the paintings (made with chalk) were finished.   But this is actually my favorite part of the process ... seeing it all unfold.  I love the contrast between the unfinished portions and the carefully blended, stunningly painted sections.



This one, of the Santa Barbara Tea Fire, was one of my favorites:





I'm amazed at the talent of these artists, and their ability to sit on tiny pieces of cardboard or carpet for three days straight (many of them in full sun).  It must be so exhausting!   And to think, with the next rain all their hard work will be washed away.

12 comments:

tinajo said...

Wow - this is amazing, so glad you showed it! :-)

Somer said...

Wouldn't you love to hang some of those on your wall. Such talent!

Adelina said...

holy smokes, mad talent! that's amazing!

Kathy said...

These are amazing! Such beautiful work. Thanks for sharing.

Elena said...

oh my! that is just amazing - never seen anything like that!

tryna* said...

I am blown away by the beauty these artists create! Thank you for sharing your photos!

Carolyn said...

I got to do a few of these sort of events in college (I was art major)...that was 10 years ago! These reminded me of those crazy days. These artists are amazing!!

Debbie said...

you should see i Madonnari in Piazza Venezia, in Rome! greatings from italy

bethanndodd said...

Absolutely amazing...thanks for sharing. Hope you have a splendid day!

Anonymous said...

amazing! i used to get excited to visit the big sand sculptures at the shore..this is amazing compared to those!!

Thread In Her Hair said...

These are amazing!! How neat to get to see the process unfold.

HannahBee said...

Our church does something like this too, although on a much smaller scale!;)