baby name decor

This happy little baby name sign was another part of the take-home decor from this week's baby shower:

First I cut a template of the baby's name on my Silhouette (but this could also be done by hand, using a font you type out in a word document).  Then I traced the name on thin pieces of cardboard (food boxes) and cut out several layers with my exacto knife.  I didn't want any of the box labels to show, so I cut one with the front design facing and two with the plain back cardboard facing so I could sandwich the label inside.

Three layers of thin cardboard was just right.  I glued each piece together with mod podge and gave the edges a quick sand after it was all dry.

Then I added another layer of mod podge on top and glued down a cut out of the name on some pretty scrapbook paper.  I also cut this layer on my Silhouette, but again, you can do it by hand.


To finish it off, I hot glued ribbon all along the outer edges to conceal the cardboard.  That was the most time-consuming part, especially in those little loops, but it was worth it.

This could be hung on a wall or propped up on a bookshelf.  Hopefully the mama-to-be likes it!


Pin It

23 comments:

Purple Quilter Queen said...

What a cute idea! You did a great job! Jenn

Jill said...

I love this idea! I'm always up for some cheap-and-cute decor. Thanks for the tutorial!
--Jill
JillMadeIt.blogspot.com

Taylor {Sew Much Love} said...

Gorgeous! I LOVE it! I'm so copying this idea for my daughter!

Wani said...

Such a pretty craft for a pretty name!

Anonymous said...

I love it! What font did you use?

Drea said...

how fun! i pinned it :)

www.dreawood.com

Fiorella said...

a bella idea come sempre ... ciao ciao dall'Italia...

Karin Marie said...

This is wicked cute idea! Plus, thrifty & cheap! I love it! Plus, all the ideas your giving me to do for my daughter#3 due in Sept! Thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to get started! I bet the momma is going to love it! I don't have a shiloutte but what font is that? I love how the letters connect.

Karin Marie :]
blondechic1413@yahoo.com
babycakesandpeanut.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

Adorable!
You could possibly do one layer out of foam core and glue a ribbon on the edge to hide the foam...

CelebratingGoodTimes.com said...

I just got a silhouette, I am kind of overwhelmed and do not know where to start but this I am going to try with my grand daughters names! Thanks so much for sharing . . . . Anne

meg + andy said...

this is so cute and such a great gift! it's kind of nice to see a name connected instead of the common individual letters. thanks for the idea. ;)

Julie said...

Very cute! What's the pink? Is it paint or paper?

Gen said...

Great job that is so cute.

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

That is sooooo pretty! I love that you used script, just gorgeous. Thanks for the great idea, I'll be spreading the word.

g8rmaria said...

how big is this? i have a silhouette and am assuming its size of normal paper you would feed in? Thanks in advance.

homemade by jill said...

It is as big as the paper would allow - so about 8 1/2 inches tall, and 11 inches wide?

Nicole said...

I love this! It's so cute. How could you make it more....masculine for a boy's room? I guess just use a different font and manly paper?

-Nicole

nicolescraftasticlife.blogspot.com

Mike, Yeni, Finn & Marissa said...

Is thin cardboard to heavy to cut with the Silhouette? (cereal box)

homemade by jill said...

I've never tried it, but my guess is that even thin cardboard would be too thick for the silhouette.

Love and Lollipops said...

this is so clever!

Georgia :)

Melanie said...

I love it! Which font did you use? I am trying something similar but every font cuts on each letter, I want a seamless cut like you have. Thanks!!

mcprice313 (at) gmail (dot) com

Patty said...

It looks so nice and seems to be easy to do. Then I'll try to do it too! Thanks a lot for sharing!

Zoe said...

It's so cute, I will use this idea for my kid's birthday, thank you!^^