blueberry picking

Yesterday the kids and I escaped our coastal fog to soak in the sun on the other side of the mountains.  Our playgroup met at Santa Barbara Blueberries, the local U-Pick blueberry farm.  It was so awesome, I'm already planning a trip back!


Oscar was an eager little picker, but his bucket was very slow to fill.  He ate most of his berries straight off the bush, and I don't blame him ... the blueberries were so warm and sweet, you could almost taste the sunshine.




After a lot of eating, the bucket slowly started to fill (much from the help of Oscar's friend, Audrey, who was more interested in filling Oscar's bucket than her own).


Ruby is such a goober, and probably ate more dirt than blueberries in the field.  But she was happy, so I let her at it.


She soon developed a taste for the blueberries though, and it wasn't long before she was double-fisting them.



Chubby little hands diving into buckets of fresh blueberries ... now that's summer.



In other news, I am participating in this year's M&J Trimming Blogger's Challenge!  You can see a little preview HERE.   The mystery box certainly was challenging to me, but in the end I made a few fun things.  You'll have to check it out next week when all the projects are revealed.  I am dying to see what all the other bloggers made!

17 comments:

Joyce said...

Looks like a wonderful day. I love your daughters little bonnet- so cute!

Sarita said...

Our blueberries are getting big. Not at all ripe, but still gorgeous.

Amy said...

Reminds me of the book "blueberries for sal" kerplink kerplank kerplunk. :0)

Miranda said...

Looks like a fun day! We have blackberries growing on our property, this reminded me we need to get out there and pick them soon!

Holly said...

So fun! I'm going with you next time, Logan loves blueberries so much his poo is black most of the time!

Jolayne said...

Jealous! Living in Alberta (Canada), there's nothing like this anywhere near us. My daughter would be in heaven!

Kenny and Teresa Wolfe said...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you made that little bonnett?? It's super-cute, but not nearly as cute as your two kiddos! I adore the picture of Ruby's hand in the bucket!!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

What a fun day!!
I'm stopping by from M&J - can't wait to see what everyone else made! :)

Ms. Chan said...

Aww...how fun!

MommaWard said...

Super cute! Love the pics of those chubby hands grabbing up the berries.

Rachel said...

I wish there was a place to go blueberry picking near me, I think I live too far south. My kids can eat their weight in blueberries & it gets expensive!

Heidi said...

Wow, those are two CUTE kids!

Emilie said...

Wow! Blueberries don't come until a little later in the summer here (in about a month).
Is that the Peek-a-boo bonnet from Made by Rae? It looks so cute!

mtej2005 said...

Wow you live so close to me, that is the same Bluberry place my son and I have been going to for the passed few years. Funny.. Do you go to the discount Fabric store in Solvang too??

Vicky said...

Love the bonnet. Did you make it? If so what pattern did you use? x

homemade by jill said...

Vicky - the bonnet was made with the Peekaboo Bonnet Pattern by Made by Rae:
http://www.made-by-rae.com/2011/04/peekaboo-bonnet-sewing-pattern-pdf.html

Fallon said...

Just found your blog...LOVE it! I posted a few things on blueberry picking on my blog...we did blueberry paintings...you should try it with the kids :D

http://thetorpfamily.blogspot.com/2011_07_01_archive.html