stripey stuffed penguin (with template)

What is it about striped fabric that makes a project 10 times cuter?


Ruby's little boyfriend, Logan, celebrated his first birthday over the weekend and his very talented mama threw him a penguin-themed party (you can see all the cute penguin-party details HERE on Holly's blog).

Of course, I wanted to make him a little something.   I saw these stuffed penguins in Martha Stewart Living years ago, but just caught another glimpse of them on Pinterest last week (love that site!).  There is not a template available on Martha's site, so I made up my own, and I'm sharing it with you.


Get the 2-page penguin template HERE and HERE.

I don't have a detailed step by step for you, but it is pretty simple to figure out.  Hand sew the eyes, beak, and belly to the front body piece.  Assemble the wings and feet - two pieces of felt for each appendage, right side facing out, and stitch around the edges to secure (I used a blanket stitch).

Pin the wings and feet to the front body piece as diagrammed below.

With right sides of the body pieces together, sew around the edges, leaving an opening to stuff.  Stuff with polyfill and hand-stitch the opening closed.


Happy birthday, sweet Logan!  We love you.

Pin It

23 comments:

Lil Mama Stuart said...

I'm pinning it ;)

Holly said...

Logan LOVES his penguin! Thank you so much :)

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

OhMyGoodness... Super cute penguin, I LOVE the stripes!

Adin B said...

That is just a cutie! I bet my little one will love it if I get to make one for him. :) Thanks for sharing!

Adin B

LiEr said...

Oh Jill, I love his round grey tummy. It's my favorite part of him, even though the stripes ARE absolutely swoonworthy. He is adorable! Eeeeeeeeeee!

Jennifer said...

I am IN LOVE with this!!!!!! Thanks so much for sharing!! :0)

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [14 Jun 12:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

casserole said...

Soooo cute!! I linked to your pattern on Craft Gossip Sewing:
http://sewing.craftgossip.com/35144/2011/06/14/
(link will go live later tonight)
--Anne

Mary Lou said...

This jolly bird is so cute! I know an adult who'd swoon for this jailbird

Sara B. said...

Hi Jill-I don't think I've ever commented before but I love your blog! I'm pretty sure I saw you at the Santa Barbara Zoo today by the giraffe exhibit! We are from Montana and are visitiing family right now. I was too shy to say anything. Haha! Very cute penguin by the way!

likeschocolate said...

Adorable!

homemade by jill said...

Sara B. - how funny! I wish you would have said hi (and that I would have done my hair today). :) That was very likely me, since we were at the zoo today.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Santa Barbara!

Painted-Butterflies said...

Such a gorgeous penguin! I can't wait to get my sewing machine out once my craft supplies arrive.

Please come a visit me at

http://painted-butterflies.blogspot.com/

Amy

dana said...

Oh this is so cute Jill! And I know, striped fabric makes any craft just a little bit cuter :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is so cute!
My six year old is asking me to teach him sewing - so I promised him some "personal sewing time" during the summer holiday, and have been looking around for not too difficult yet nice projects. This will definitely go on the list.
And yeah, the stripes add a whole sophisticated look!

Sabine C

born ambitious. born imaginative. said...

I just saw this! Last week I also made a penguin mama and baby (attached by velcro) out of purple polk a dot fabric. If I saw this first, I wouldn't have had to make my own pattern. I need to take a picture of it and blog it this week. It's neat to see your ideas!

shantel said...

I am featuring this today at seemesew.blogspot.com!

Flashear said...

The penguin looks so cute and see`s too easy, thanks a lot.

Love and Lollipops said...

So so cute! :)

Georgia

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Just found this via pinterest, and I'm smitten. Thanks for the template - I just printed it up and I'm ready to roll. Or sew. Or whatever.

(because there's nothing I need more than to start another project)

mybrightlife said...

Thanks for the template. Am going to give it a whirl with my lil' fairies...

lovelylina said...

hi Jill...I'm from Indonesia. Thank you for the template, really love it. I made it for my friend who really loves pinguin. And she likes it yeaay!
It's a bit diferrent from yours with a little modification here and there :)

mademoisella said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I sewed a couple of this penguins and linked to your blog.
http://sew-a-gift.blogspot.de/2015/01/tag-281-u-282-mrs-mr-pinguin.html
ella