Fourth of July Playdate Dress

Happy Fourth of July!  If you are celebrating with us here in the U.S., I hope you have barbeques and fireworks on your agenda today. 

Over the weekend, I whipped up the Playdate Dress from Craftiness is Not Optional.  Jess is a blogging all-star and is constantly putting out free tutorials and patterns for super cute girls clothes.

I didn't deviate from Jess's pattern at all, and though it is sized 2T, it was a perfect fit for my behemoth 1 year old.  Ruby isn't quite walking, so I made the dress super short (nothing frustrates her more than getting her knees caught up in a dress) and paired it with some matching zig zag bloomers using Dana's Perfect Diaper Cover tutorial.

It was such an easy sew and looks really cute, so I foresee many more playdate dresses in Ruby's wardrobe.

Just for fun, here's a photo of a neighbor's patriotic dog statue:

Wouldn't it be fun if we all had that level of enthusiasm for the holidays?  :)

13 comments:

Jess said...

oh my gosh Jill, it's so adorable! I have to say I'm so flattered that you used my tute, I've been a big fan of yours ever since I can remember reading craft blogs. Little Ruby looks adorable in the chevron! It's perfect for the fourth! (and the rest of the summer, since it doesn't have stars on it, lol)

Jess

Emily said...

Oh it's so cute!! Love the chevron and that you made it the perfect length for crawling. My two year old grew a bunch in the first year and is still wearing clothes from last summer. :)

Katie said...

Super adorable dress (and girl). :) Happy 4th of July!

Jen @ My Own Road said...

Really cute, and I love the chevron pattern!

Susie Q said...

Jill - I've been following you since BEFORE you had your kids and you were beebopping through NYC with your BFF! Oscar & Ruby are absolutely adorable and I love following you with your projects (and always LOVE to see the cutie pies!)!!
Hope you all had a great, fun & festive 4th!

Anna said...

Awe! She's so adorable. Jess is such a super blogger. It's so fun to see your version :)

LiEr said...

Happy Indep. Day, Jill! I love how you put the solids and zigzaggies todether in this cute dress! Even more, though, I love Ruby's smile because she's so proud to be wearing Mum-made. I haven't been sewing any clothes for my girls lately so it's always nice to enjoy handmade goodness vicariously through other people's gorgeous creations!

Angela said...

Precious! You've inspired me to get to sewing this morning. :)

Elizabeth said...

So adorable! One day I'll be brave and try to make this for my chunky girl. I love Jess's tutorials too, but am too scared/new at sewing to try them! One day...

bethanndodd said...

SO cute (especially Ruby!) If only I had a daughter...I don't think any of my 3 boys would be willing to wear that adorable dress ;)

Vanessa said...

I was reading your blog with my 9.5 month old on my lap and he saw Ruby and just went crazy. He started smiling and laughing and waving at her picture. I was like..."do you like, Ruby?" LOL!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I love this pattern too! She looks adorable, and I'm sure if she could talk she'd tell you she appreciated you making it crawl-able.

That dog is nothing short of awesome :)

Kathy said...

I'm with Susie Q..been following you pre-kids and in NYC. Fun to see Missions behind you..I KNOW that dog statue! Love SB!!