oven mitt hand puppet

A few weeks ago when I was making Monkey and Crocodile finger puppet sets (get your template HERE), I also made this guy:

It was supposed to be a crocodile, but looks more like a demented dragon to me.  I almost considered it a craft fail, but my kids LOVE him ... so there you go.  He'd look more like a crocodile with some eye bumps, I think.  And we'd have to do something about those teeth.  Hmm.

Anyway, I used Melanie's Oven Mitt Pattern from The Crafty Cupboard (a great pattern - I used it often this past Christmas for kitchen-themed gifts).


The green, brown, and orange-red fabrics are all jersey, and the teeth and eyes are made of white felt.  I fused a layer of fusible fleece interfacing to the green jersey and brown to give the body a little more stability.  And obviously, I cut the top pattern piece in half to add those pointy scales up the middle.

He is good for munching monkeys,


and little girls.

Hope you are all having a good week!  We've been playing non-stop with visiting family recently, and I had the sudden realization that I am moving in like two weeks.  Yikes.  Better get to work!  So if I am not around as much at the beginning of August, now you know why.  :)

8 comments:

Tristin @ Two Girls Being Crafty said...

Aww, it's not a fail if the kids love him! (In grey with just one fin he'd make a FAB shark!)

homemade by jill said...

Good idea! I haven't given up on the oven mitt style puppet yet, it just needs tweaking. A shark would be great.

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Good luck on that move, I hate doing it! We just signed another year contract, thank goodness. Next year, it is move time to who knows where!

My girls LOVE that monkeys in a tree teasing Mr. Crocodile song. We read the book on a daily basis.

Sabrina said...

I really like it, very fun and cute.

Steph said...

Very cute! I will have to try and incorporate that pattern into my Christmas ideas. Thanks!

said...

I love love LOVE this blog. I only cruised around it for a few minutes and realized I had to follow it! My children would love this "demented dragon"!

Dekota
www.dekotamaries.blogspot.com

Lindsay @ Artsy-Fartsy Mama said...

haha I love this!! You are so creative!!
I gave you an award today on my blog :)
http://artsyfartsymama.blogspot.com/2011/07/awards-shtuff.html

David said...

Dear Jill,

I really like your over mitt. I would like to buy one for my significant other. Are they for sale? I hope you are having a great day.

David