a special request birthday shirt

My sister-in-law asked me to help with a birthday shirt for my niece's Jessie-themed birthday party.  How could I resist?  While her only request was to have a big number two, I couldn't help but try to create a Jessie-style t-shirt.


I used the Sienna Dress Pattern by Lil Blue Boo, shortened to t-shirt length.  The yellow top of the shirt is appliqued by machine, I added some blue hand embroidery to the border (you can just barely see it on Jessie's shirt, but the stitching is there), and the red swirls and number are flocked Silhouette heat transfer material.


Very Jessie, don't you think?  I looked everywhere to find that swirly pattern for my shirt, but came up with nothing.  In the end, I just sketched it out myself.  After getting the shape right on graph paper, I traced it using a thick black sharpie and scanned the image into my computer.  Then I imported the graphic into my Silhouette software and traced the outline to get the perfect cut.

You have no idea how this t-shirt has the wheels in my head turning for Halloween.  Thanks to a hilarious suggestion from my husband, Ruby is going to be rocking an awesome costume this year (fingers crossed).

30 comments:

Natasha Sews Jeans n Things said...

Awesome job! That is so adorable!

Emily said...

this is SOO cute. You are very talented!

Kathleen said...

Jill, I love that shirt! Can you make me one that says '51'! :) I love all things Toy Story. Great job!!!

Little Feet said...

Oh this is awesome!! Great work! I am sure it will be loved and well worn! :)

bethanndodd said...

What a special shirt...SO Jessie!
Lovin those flocked vinyl swirls {the Silhouette rocks!}. Smiles~beth

maddmomma said...

It turned out soooo cute! I know one little girl who is going to LOVE it!

Diana said...

How adorable! My 4 year old has insisted she be Jessie for Halloween, and since I'm not a huge fan of the store bought version I was trying to figure out how to make it myself... what a great idea with the flocked heat transfer and Silhouette!

Sabrina said...

Awesome! Is the heat transfer going to wear well over the stitching / applique? (have had no experience w/ the silhouette)

BECKY said...

if you one up the aerobic baby, you win big time :)

HollowSquirrel said...

LOVE IT!!

Jill said...

Oh, cute! I love it. I'm going to have to make my little girl one, two, because she LOVES Toy Story.
--Jill
JillMadeIt.blogspot.com

E J said...

Too cute! I'm also relieved to hear that someone else is already thinking about Halloween costumes - it's never too early!

Jess said...

it's soo cute! Now I can't wait to see her costume. ;)

Sascha said...

Oh this is awesome! It makes me want to force my kids to love Toy Story instead of Lightning McQueen. This is so much cuter than Cars stuff. Maybe if I play the movie 24/7 they will fall in love by Halloween ;)

Sara said...

Wow Jill! That turned out great! I recently made a Jessie inspired outfit for my niece, too.
http://happybrownhouse.com/2011/05/26/toy-story-jesse-cowgirl-outfit/

Kelly said...

Beautiful! Just a comment- You know you can outline any image in the Silhouette program, right? So you can pull up a picture of jessie and outline the swirly. Just an fyi. I do it all the time.

Laurel said...

That is so cute! My daughter is going to have a giraffe first birthday party in November. I have been contemplating a giraffe themed birthday dress . . .

Lyss said...

Wow. The end.

dana said...

so cute! this is adorable! And yes, I'm keeping this in mind...in case lucy requests a jessie costume for halloween...

Rae said...

AWESOME girl, that totally rocks! Nice job!!

So jealous you have Halloween ideas already. I have nada so far.

kiki said...

Very Cute! Found your site from the feature on Today's Creative Blog - congrats! I'll definitely be back ;-)

Anna Smith said...

Saw you featured on Today'sCreative Blog...love, love, love decopodge!!

Kim -today's creative blog said...

Hey Jill, YOU are my featured blogger today! Enjoy!

My Love is..... said...

Love this! Perfectly done!

Tori said...

I like it!

Ashleigh said...

Jill- You are my hero. The shirt is perfect! I don't have a halloween idea yet! Cringe!!! I can't wait to see yours though!

Mary Stringham said...

SO. CUTE!!!!!

Kandy Roo said...

this is to cute

Brittany said...

LOVE this! Of course, I love all things Toy Story, especially Woody's Roundup.

Brittany said...

Hi Jill. I wasn't going to leave a link, but I will anyway because the Woody and Jessie tees would look so cute together! http://phesine.blogspot.com/2010/11/embellished-tees-blast-from-not-too.html. I made this for my son several years ago. I bought another yellow tee (this time a polo) and a red fabric marker to make another one.