viva la fiesta outfit

This weekend, the good people of Santa Barbara are enjoying Old Spanish Days, a.k.a. Fiesta - a celebration of the city's Spanish heritage.  Jared asked me to make Ruby a little outfit for his work party, and this is what I came up with:

It is not the traditional Fiesta dress he was hoping for, but I thought something casual would get more frequent wear.  Besides, it does include all the three most important elements of a great Fiesta outfit:

1.  LOTS of ruffles - the more the better
2.  vibrant color, especially red
3.  pretty flowers


check, check and ... check.  Mission accomplished!


  • The bloomers were made using Ruffle Fabric in Candy Cane and Dana's Perfect Diaper Cover pattern.  Before I sewed any seams, I serged all the cut edges of my Ruffle Fabric.  It really helped those wily ruffles stay in place and I didn't have to pin nearly as much.
  • I made the top from part of a men's t-shirt, using guidelines from Dana's Summer Vacation Dress pattern (notice a trend here?  I may have a favorite blogger).
  • The flower on the top and hair clip are made from the same t-shirt.  I cut long strips of connected scallops, and hand stitched them together in circular layers.

I'm off to eat copious amounts of churros.  Have a great weekend!

15 comments:

just jen said...

A classic little fiesta dress. Love it.

Leslie said...

Oh this is going to be so cute on the little one!

L

Lettie said...

That is adorable! I love the combo of the two and those bloomers are awesome. That fabric is a great choice.

Katie said...

It's adorable!

And--haha!--gotta love the orders husbands place. Mine has been after me to make pillow covers and a rug for the front door for a month or so now. :)

@lliE said...

What a darling dress. Just lovely.

freshlycompleted.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

I love this post, and I think it'll be perfect for when we have our Fiesta in the Spring.
As a side note, I'm not sure if you look at the ads on the top of your blog, but the DuPont one that makes it look like cockroaches are running all over your page creeps me out a bit!

homemade by jill said...

Sarah - thanks for the heads up! Those cockroaches are disgusting, and no, I hadn't seen it, because I use ad blocker. :) I think I removed the right one, so hopefully you won't be creeped out by cockroaches again!

Mary Stringham said...

Darling! I wish I had a reason to make one!

Clair said...

Too cute Jill! I love this outfit.

And I'm jealous of the Churro eating you will get to partake in. When my grandmother visited the states from England, we were at Grants Farm where they happen to sell Churros. I was eating one and she had never tried one so she asked if she could have a bite. She fell in love with them instantly. I have always loved Churros, but since my grandmother has since passed away, they now also hold a special memory for me.
Have fun!

Powers Fam said...

I marched in the parade years ago. I drove down to the zoo on Wednesday and then stopped at Paseo Nuevo to do a little shopping. I totally forgot how busy it is. I'll have to remember to do my school shopping earlier. Is there a secret to great parking for the festivities? Love those ruffle bloomers. I have some ruffle fabric I haven't touched yet.

The Henrich Family said...

EAT SOME FOR ME, please! cute dress

dana said...

Oh my goodness, this is so cute! That ruffled diaper cover! Love it!

Ms. Chan said...

That is so cute!!

thewillowsnest said...

whoa so gorgeous!!! those bloomers are serious eye candy!! I Love your ideas and very pretty blog! :)
Cheers , Helen

www.apronsandapples@blogspot.com said...

Love this! I need to make this for my 2 yr old. I love your blog and frequent it regularly. Therefore; I'm awarding you the Versatile Blogger Award! You can see the details at www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com . I chose you and 14 other sites to receive this, after receiving it myself. I hope you accept it!
Kristy