chalkboard contact paper

Here I go, jumping on the chalkboard bandwagon ...


We recently moved into a new house, but since we are still renting, I can't really go crazy with the chalkboard paint.   We did, however, purchase the refrigerator, so I went ahead and ordered a roll of chalkboard contact paper, hoping it would do the trick.

It is so easy, and really works like a real chalkboard.  And did I mention it is easy?  You literally peel and stick (you can also pull it off and reposition).

I cut off a big piece for the kids to doodle on for the bottom of the fridge, and used my Silhouette to cut a smaller, prettier shape (you can run contact paper through the machine just like vinyl) to make notes on up top ... grocery lists, love notes, or whatever else springs to mind.

For best results, prep the chalkboard by rubbing a piece of chalk all over the surface, then erase, and repeat.   Now you're ready for maximum doodling!   My kids love it, and I love not having them attached to my leg while I'm trying to fix lunch.

Pin It

20 comments:

Amber said...

Wow, I knew people were incorporating chalkboard surfaces into just about everything, but I've never seen the chalkboard contact paper - so neat!

nest full of eggs said...

you can reposition it!?! that's fabulous :)

Andersonland said...

I am in love with your lego table and would like to make one for my son. Your paint turned out perfect can you tell me what you used, color, spray paint or roller, etc. Thank you! kristinmaxwell@hotmail.com

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I love your list of household staples :) Ice cream is absolutely necessary, isn't it?

Great idea to keep the kids off while cooking!

Michelle said...

I love this!! Thank you for sharing

@lliE said...

What a great idea! WE're renting too so I often feel limited in what I can do.

Lori said...

Great idea! I love this. I'm going to have to try it out at my home!

CraftCrave said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [03 Sep 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Sarah said...

Oh. My. Goodness. I had no idea there was even such a thing and I've been wanting to do something with chalkboard paint for a while!!! And it's even cheaper than a roll of Silhouette vinyl! Thanks for sharing this! =)

Tincha said...

Wow. Great idea!

jillbert said...

Thanks for posting this. I ordered some already!

Bree said...

So funny...I ordered a roll of chalkboard contact paper last week to label all of my new jars in my pantry. As I read your post I thought, "hey, where's my paper?" On the front stoop apparently (we never use that door). Now I'm ready to decorate. Thanks for reminding me!

Homemade Aspirations said...

What a fun idea! I have been wanting to try chalkboard paint but we are also renters and haven't found how and where i want it to go. It's on my list to get at amazon!

Sarah said...

Is it safe to put on walls without hurting the paint? We rent too and I really wanted to do a chalk board wall in my son's room. This would be the perfect solution if doesn't peel paint!?

Taylor Made said...

Thanks for that fab idea...I had a roll just sitting waiting for the inspiration...we now have a chalkboard on our fridge too!

Andy said...

I'm enjoying your blog (and the recipes - Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake sounds delicious and what a good way to use up all those pumpkins left over from Halloween). I've linked to you from my Blog :-)

Andy

Jena said...

Will it come off a stainless steel refrigerator door? (My husband's worried.) What is your experience with it long term? Is it harder to take off after a year or more on it?

homemade by jill said...

Jena, I have no idea how the contact paper peels away long-term. I've only had it on my fridge for two weeks. :) Sorry!

Michelle said...

Jena, what if you apply some of the magnetic spray to the back of the chalkboard paper instead of exposing the adhesive. Then you could use on the fridge w/o messing it up?

Mamabear said...

Where do you get a copy of that shape that you used?