retro homemaking night

Sorry to be so absent this week!  I've been prepping non-stop for another ladies event at my church, which was held last night.  I no longer have as much responsibility as I've had in the past (phew), but these things are always a lot of work.

 We had a retro-themed homemaking night, complete with classes about pressure cooking, making apple pies (in a jar - cute!), and sewing an apron.

Our tables were decorated with a fun assortment of vintage items, and a sweet bouquet of flowers in a can (idea from Rachel Ray, which I saw on Pinterest).

 I love my blue Singer.  I don't actually use it, but it sure is pretty, right?


My favorite part of the night (besides the fun activity, delicious food, and wonderful company, of course) was definitely getting all dolled up with retro hair and make up.
As a mom who is admittedly frumpy and often sports a wet french braid and no makeup, I felt fabulous last night!  How weird would it be if I started rocking a retro look more often?  Because it was kind of awesome.  I found really helpful hair and makeup tutorials on YouTube.  Is there anything you can't learn on YouTube?

I lead the apron sewing class (with lots of helpers - thanks Holly & Lori!), and we made the apron in a hour that I posted about previously.  Since we are always on tight budgets for these types of things, we had to find a great deal on fabric ... which last week lead me here:

the Fabric Barrel in Solvang, CA.  I kid you not, this was one of the nuttiest places I've ever been.  Crazy, I tell you!  There are two buildings, two stories each, plus a separate cafe, all manned by one lady.  On the bottom floors are several rooms of fabric, some on giant bolts, others just piled in bins, like the photo above.  All the fabric is 99 cents a yard, and you cut it yourself.  There is not an employee to be seen (she is busy in the cafe, cooking burgers).

My friend Lori and I went together, with four toddlers in tow, and it was an adventure to say the least.  When we first walked in, I was so overwhelmed, I didn't think we would find a thing.

Fifty yards of fabric and 20 zippers later (zippers are 5 cents, buttons only a penny), we hauled our kids and our spoils over to the cafe for hot dogs, burgers, and root beer floats.

There were so many great knits ... and 99 cent fabric makes me kind of dizzy with excitement.  I can't wait to go again, but definitely without kids!

Anyway, that's what I've been up to.  I haven't forgotten about the vinyl wipes case template - I'll post it next week!

p.s. today is the last day to enter the Just Bunch Designs giveaway.  Don't forget to leave a comment if you haven't already.  :)

32 comments:

Perrine said...

You're gorgeous... love the fifties.. or sixties ?

Annastacia said...

What a fun idea! You look amazing btw!

Erika@Oops! I Craft My Pants said...

I love that idea! I wish I had that calling at church. Come to think of it--I don't even think we have activities! Dang.

Anyway, you are gorgeous. I love your hair. And, I'm totally jealous you don't have pregnancy face!

Tamara said...

LOVE the hair. Please rock that look forever. So hot.
And I'm pretty sure I learned how to sew on a Singer just like yours. Which my mom still has. And (infrequently) uses. Gotta love how Singers last forever!

http://31datesin31days.com

Ana e os Viraventos said...

First of all you look gorgeous in retro hair and make up!
Second, that store looks like one I went just last week, the mess was about the same, it looked like it had been robed! and the prices... well no so good, but good enough!

Jodie said...

99c isn't even real money - thats crazy !
You will have to go back .

Alice Lynch said...

I LOVE the retro look!!

Kimberly from "bugaboo" said...

that store sounds AMAZING! I'm so jealous. Why in the world can't we get stuff like that here?? All we have is a Hobby Lobby!

Chiemi said...

Ahhh!! How many times have I been to Solvang and NEVER seen that place?! I need to go there.

Jenny said...

You totally deserved a root beer float yourself. I love what Jodie says, that 99c isn't even real money, ha! Gorgeous hair and makeup.

Aimee said...

You look awesome! I love your decorations! Sooooo cute...and your handout/flier/poster! Too fun!
I have a pink and white Singer just like your blue one that I use for all my sewing needs. It's a hand me down from my sister that found it at a second hand store. I love it!

Caren said...

I really would like to have one of those shops around me! I can't even imagine how that lady does it - she must be amazing. I love your retro look, by the way - very fun!

Mindy said...

My mom and I have been to that store in Solvang. You definitely have to look but we found tons of fabric that we used for the YW to do quilts.

Love the look.

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

what a fun night that would have been! I love it. And I love the blue singer.

Chari said...

You look like you just stepped out of a Housekeeping magazine from the 50s! I love the 'party' theme! What a great way to help other women learn something new about the old arts :-)

I would have gone nuts in a fabric store like that lol

Mom Taxi Julie said...

I wish I would have known about this place when I visited Solvang last month!

You look fabulous! I love that vintage look.

Kim W said...

Your eyes are gorgeous in this picture! You could totally rock that look! I grew up in Santa Maria, so Solvang was always so fun to visit! Great idea. I'm passing it on to our
"RS Activity" (what's the title now???) chick! Thanks!

Jess said...

love the hairdo-so cute! I love the decorations, too, and that store looks awesome.

Emily said...

Love your retro look!! :)

Sandee said...

AWESOME ENRICHMENT ACTIVITY! please move to my ward!!!

Rochelle Barlow said...

You look fabulous! You should go retro more often, it looks great on you! I'm jealous of your RS activity and the fabric store. 99 cents! For knit too! Why oh why do I live in a place that only has JoAnns? At least I have a fabric store, but two buildings with fabric that's 99 cents a yard? I'd probably still come out of there without any money left in my bank account.

Stephanie said...

What a lovely R.S. activity! I wish I had been there! I love your wonderful blog. Thanks for all you share with the rest of us!!

maddmomma said...

Wow! I love this post! I think you look so beautiful, and the table decorations were wonderful. I'm sure the ladies had a great evening. I hope you have some more pictures that you can post later when you have time of the ladies and their aprons, pies, and pressure cookers! Way to go, Jill!

Jenn said...

I know exactly where that place is - there used to be a great ice cream shop there and they remote control boats! That place is pretty crazy!

Ellen said...

great event!
And looks like you did a good job on the hairdo :)

Kisha said...

love the piles of zipper! and i don't even sew!

Jillian said...

Your ward sounds like they do such fun activities!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

you totally look the part!! you could be on an episode of Mad Men!

Ashley said...

I am so JEALOUS that you have that store close to you! I want one! Great deals...but I agreee...definately somewhere to go without kiddos. ;)

Betsy&Joy said...

This is so fun! I'll have to throw a party along these lines...or get on the activities committee at church ;). If it's ok I would like to post about this on my retro blog betsyandjoy.blogspot.com.

Thanks,
Sarah

Janet said...

You look fabulous! Thanks for the fun activity idea! I love your invitation and decor. :)

sarah marie said...

I love the retro homemaking idea! You look so cute.

I find it funny that they advertise the fabric at .99 cents, when of course I assume that they mean 99 cents or .99 dollars, and not a fraction of a cent... hah!