bringing home baby - she'll probably need something to wear

Unbelievably, the week has already arrived when we get to welcome our new baby - we'll meet her on Friday!  Some of my friends started asking about her "coming home" outfit, and I realized I didn't have anything planned.  Come to think of it, I have never planned a special coming home from the hospital outfit for my own kids.  I'm not super sentimental about that kind of stuff.  But this baby needed something, poor third child that she is.


First, I made her a really simple knot-top cap.  It is modeled after my favorite store-bought newborn cap that I bought for Oscar years ago.  I sketched out a simple template for you, which you can print out HERE.  You'll need to cut two pieces of stretchy knit fabric from the template, and then another rectangular piece for the border at the bottom.  I cut my border piece to 3 inches tall, and double the width of the bottom of the template piece.  I'm not going to go into detail how to piece it together, but Make It and Love It has a really great baby hat tutorial that should give you a pretty good idea.  Keep in mind that her hat brim folds up, but mine does not.

I also have basic instructions for a really easy baby hat from a t-shirt sleeve from my early sewing days - you can find it HERE.


Besides long sleepers, my favorite newborn clothes are the basic kimono-style snap shirts you can buy in packs.  I even did a tutorial a few years ago about how to dress one up with ric-rac and some pretty buttons (find it HERE). For this shirt, I simply added a lace trim around the shirt's opening - really easy, really fast.  This is actually the exact shirt that Oscar wore home from the hospital, and possibly Ruby, too (I don't actually remember what I put her in).


So there you have it, possibly the easiest coming home from the hospital outfit, ever.  Add a pair of leggings and some cute socks, and you're all set.

23 comments:

Bethany said...

Very cute! It got me thinking, I don't remember what my last wore home from the hospital either. Hmmm. :)

Good luck with everything! I also had three in three years. My 3rd was born 2 weeks before my oldest turned 3. But it ended up being easier than I expected. Can't wait to see pictures of your sweet arrival!

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

I haven't even broken out the box of newborn girl clothes yet! Good luck this Friday- send good labor vibes my way ;)

LiEr said...

Oh Jill, I hadn't even realized you were so close to becoming a family of five! I've been so poor at keeping up with my favorite blogs of late. Very excited for you, and praying for a good, safe delivery and great adjustment for everyone at home. Have a glorious week and all the best for Friday!

Maria's Craft said...

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [15 Nov 02:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

Deb Messer/La Fleur de Mon Coeur Boutique said...

Joyful thoughts sent your way for an amazingly amazing Friday!! Can't wait for the first picture of your little one and your new "fam of five." ♥

Ashley M said...

Yeah for November babies! My birthday is Friday, too. Wishing you lots of love and luck with three precious babies. Enjoy!!!

Sophie said...

it's really cute! i like the little shirt with lace!

BECKY said...

best wishes! can't wait to see a pic of all 3!

Purple Quilter Queen said...

Oh I can't wait to "meet" her!!! Congrats! Jenn

Lydia said...

your baby girl is gonna be stylin! :D excited for you guys! will be praying that all goes well on friday. ~loves! we'll be going to LA for Christmas...so excited!

lisa jack said...

Yay! Congrats & can't wait to see the new beautiful bundle!

Allyson said...

Jill, I love your blog! I also had three kiddos in three years - they are now 4, almost 2 and 8 months. It is busy, but a VERY blessed busy. People often tell me that my hands are full and I like to respond that my heart is full, too. I hope all goes well with the arrival of your baby girl! She'll be super cute in her coming home outfit.

Anna said...

I just made this for my little boy who will be arriving in the next few weeks. It was pretty easy (I'm a beginner), and SO cute! I can't wait for a little head to put it on! Thanks for the great idea!

CBH said...

Hi Jill, just recently found your great blog. Love your creativity and sharing (especially as I have a baby boy). Wishing you all the best for Friday and beyond. Will miss your updates, although I wonder how you do it now, with 2 children, I can't with one!

Thanks again for all the sharing, it's now your family's turn!

thefrabjousversipel said...

How exciting! What a joyous day to anticipate. My youngest just turned one over the weekend and the memory of waiting for her arrival is still very clear to me. :)

Kristy said...

Good luck Jill!

Anonymous said...

Hola Jill, sabes sigo de cerca tu blog, y me encanta, estaba preocupada porque no habias publicado nada desde halloween, pense que ya tendrias a tu bebe en casa. Pero leo que este viernes sera cuando llegue a este mundo.
Te deseo lo mejor para ese dia, y estare esperando con ansias ver a tu bebecito.

Con cariño Claudia.

Desde Lerdo, Durango Mexico.

Nicole said...

Hi Jill,
good luck for today and best wishes from Germany! This gonna be YOUR day! XO Nicole

Kathy said...

Hi Jill,
Happy pushing!

teresa said...

thoughts and prayers are with you and yours on this blessed day.

skippysays said...

How exciting- can't wait to see pictures of her!
www.saysskippy.blogspot.com

Beth (www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com) said...

Very cute idea! It came out great! I always sewed swaddling blankets for mine - the ones in the store just aren't big enough! I am your newest follower. I'd love for you to follow me back =-)
Beth
www.livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com

Amanda said...

Thinking of you this week since we know you had your beautiful little girl! Hope everything is going well and she's everything you hoped for and more :)