the showoff and the mini showoff

I love a happy sewing accident.  When I was first printing Made by Rae's Showoff Bag pattern, I mistakenly had my printer set to multiple pages per sheet, printing the pages at about 50% size (doh!).  Before I could get too upset, I noticed how ridiculously cute the tiny pattern pieces were ... and thus, the desire to make a tiny Showoff Bag was born.

Normally I wouldn't want to be so matchy-matchy with Ruby, but I had serious bag envy.  I mean, how great is this fabric?  It is called Modern Meadow Herringbone in Pond (by Joel Dewberry).  Love it.


A few changes I made to the pattern:  piping between the top and bottom fabrics, a magnetic closure, and two jumbo-sized box pleated pockets, perfect for hauling diapers around.  I was so excited to have a purse that wasn't a diaper bag, and what did I do?  Pile it high with diapers and kid stuff.  I wish I could pack as light as Ruby.

18 comments:

Sweat Style said...

Oh my that is just adorable! My daughter would love it. Beautiful fabric too.

kristin said...

oh that is just ridiculously adorable! what a happy accident! my daughter would LOVE to match mommy like this. :)

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

Ha ha! I finally got a big purse for that very reason... to stuff it full of baby paraphenalia. And maybe my debit card. ;) That fabric is awesome, and I love the silvery on Ruby's, it is totally glam!

Emily said...

So cute!! Love the silver on Ruby's too!!

Amanda @ The Little Giggler said...

What an awesome mistake!! They're both so cute!!

Ellieboo said...

I think a little bit of match matchy is a good thing - love these bags, so darn cute

Tab said...

Dont tell Rae, but I think the smaller bag is cuter :)

A Jennuine Life said...

That is so ridiculously cute! I've made a little purse for my daughter - maybe I need a version for myself!!

Emily said...

Those turned out totally adorable, Jill! I've made two showoffs, and you're right - the size is perfect for lugging around all sorts of kid crap. :)

Mammy Made said...

Ahh that's so sweet, I absolutely love it. Might have to make matching bags for me and my 3yo now!!

- Adele @ Mammy Made

Michelle said...

Do I ever Lurve that fabric choice!! Just when I was going to pack up my machine for the summer... you have to tease me =). I only have boys though, so it would be the giant bag for me!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

Oh I love both bags! :) Absolutely love them.

Raysha said...

Both bags are absolutely adorable. I love the metallic looking fabric on the smaller one.

http://lexmallabooks.com/?p=8

Mylinh said...

I love this! The show off bag is on my list of patterns to make. If you are ever needing ideas for tutorials, I'd love to see how you made those pockets. :)

Rae said...

NO. WAY!

This is totally totally awesome girl!

Heeee, how totally cute is that? Gotta love the "accidents" that turn out to be awesome. I LOVE it!!! Love the pockets too.

:)

Vanessa Traylor said...

Seriously the cutest show off bag i've seen yet! And the silver on Ruby's paired with that fabric is so awesome! Great job, girl!

Madebynzlfebas said...

Great job..This looks organized and useful, also so cute...

jen @ jkjk said...

These turned out so cute! I want to make matching bags for me and my little one now too. :)