Ancestry Circle Chart

How many family trees can I hang in my house before people start calling me "crazy family history lady" behind my back?  I know I just posted my family tree wall hanging last month, but it didn't have many generations on it and I wanted to dig deeper.

ObituaryHelp.org has a whole variety of free family tree templates.  I modified their 9 generation circle chart to create a simpler 6 generation chart and imported the image into my Silhouette Cameo software.


After importing, I traced the chart to prepare cutting lines and switched out my blade with one of the Silhouette Glitter Sketch Pens.  Instead of cutting your paper, the sketch pens draw your design.  I liked the glitter pens because they aren't overwhelmingly glittery - there is just a nice shimmer to the ink.


If you want to draw with multiple colors, you simply switch the pens without unloading your paper.  I drew the blue circle chart first, then without unloading my cutting mat, switched to a green pen and drew our last name and marriage year in the center of the chart.


Finally, my chart was ready to fill in.  I used a fine tip pen (.5mm) to write in all the family names.  Did you notice all the blank spots in bottom corner of the first picture?  I was really surprised to learn that much of the family line on my dad's side is unknown.  What started out as just another Silhouette project has turned into something very personal for me, and since I've begun I have had a strong impression that these people want me to find them.  I've been looking through census and immigration records for the last several days and think I've already found a family member!  I still have a lot to learn about the process, but I really hope to be able to fill in all of those blank spots (and beyond).


If you are a Silhouette user and want to make this project, send me an email (homemadebyjill@gmail.com) and I'd be happy to send you my file (for personal use only, please).  It is designed to fit a 12 x 12 piece of paper, but you could size it down to fit the older model.  Also, I'm considering listing some of these charts in an esty shop if there is interest.  What do you think?

Use my blog code, JILL, April 24th - 30th to get Silhouette's Sketch Pen Bundle Promotion.
The bundle includes:
1 Silhouette CAMEO
1 $25 download card
1 Silhouette Metallic Sketch Pen pack
1 Silhouette Glitter Pen pack
all for $269.99 (a savings of almost $75)
If you already have the Silhouette, you can get the metallic and glitter pen packs for only $6.99 each.

28 comments:

Emma said...

uh i like it very much! :) you could almost make a quilt pattern with this and embroider the names ;)

Anonymous said...

I love this so much! I like geneology too, and I've been on "hunts" to lots of places and cemetaries with my mom looking for a lost relative to fill in those blank spots! I SOOO want a Silhouette. I will win one someday :O) Great idea, looks beautiful.

Holly

Kristen said...

Jill, it's awesome! I have been looking for a larger chart for my family and I think the nine generation chart you linked to will be great - thanks for the link!

I've been working on my family history for fifteen years now and have subscriptions to everything, so if you want any help let me know. I love being on the hunt for someone :)

Maddie Cat said...

I love your chart! It makes me seriously consider getting a Silhouette! I had no idea it could do something like this!

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

this is the coolest idea for a circle skirt...EVER. I love it!!!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

What a fun idea to use the cameo to create something meaningful!

JenniF said...

Would anyone with a silhouette be willing to print and send one of these templates? I'd pay for supplies and shipping...

Kristie said...

Love this idea. How cool.
And thanks for posting your tree. It gave me an idea for a very special Mothers day/Fathers day present for my parents. My brother died recently in a tragic accident, and I am so excited to give them the family tree, with our fingerprints as leaves. And I managed to get his print as well. I can't wait. Thanks for the inspiration. I just hope my tree turns out good, as I am no artist!

becca said...

love this ancestry chart! i don't have a silhouette/cameo or anything of the sort, but i would love a chart like this. I love the simplicity of the design and of course aqua blue is one of my favorite colors!!
I would love to buy one from your etsy store if one becomes available. let me know!
Thanks

ps i also sent you an email :)

Jessie said...

What a great idea!! I love what you did. And what a neat project for you to continue working on. I really would love to start doing some more family history work, but I feel so overwhelmed and don't really know where to begin! I suppose anywhere would be a good start :)

Angela said...

You making me really want to buy a Silhouette. Especially after the other family tree. If you put it in your etsy I would buy one. Unless it was too much money...just being honest:). You should put a kit for the family tree wall hanging in your your etsy too. Maybe I should just buy a machine.

Raysha said...

This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

www.lexmallabooks.com

Anonymous said...

yes! list these on etsy!

Celeste said...

Thanks for sending me the file. I am excited to see if I can get all those blanks filled.

Cher said...

GREAT idea!

Jackie said...

I would love to buy a printed out version. If you list on etsy, please email and let me know.
jackie
nauvootemple@yahoo.com

Kate Stockman said...

Jill-this is a wonderful idea!! Thanks for sharing. I am so inspired to try this with my silhouette. I LOVE all that you share on your site and am amazed at what you accomplish while caring for three littles!

Andrea said...

I love this idea! I've been trying to figure out just how I would display a part of our family tree and I believe this is it! Unfortunately I don't have a silhouette so I would love for you to put some up in an etsy shop.

Anonymous said...

I would also love one or two of these charts. Please email me if you have any listed on etsy.
atty.nancy.robertson@gmail.com

Thanks!

Heidi said...

I LOVE this! Very cool!!!

Jodi Roessler said...

I want this SO badly! Please put them in an etsy shop!

April said...

I would love to make this on my silhouette. Would you please share your file?

Karen Christ said...

Just got a Cameo this Christmas and while looking for project ideas I saw yours. This would be perfect for this great grandma if I can learn the process. Would you please send me the file. I assume my email address attaches to this post. Karen

analidia1704 said...

It's so similar to the one I did for my daughter!!! It's this:
http://analidia1704.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/iris.jpg?w=1014

Some months after I make softer borders and other kind of trees:
http://analidia1704.wordpress.com/2013/05/02/arboles-genealogicos/

If you like family trees, I hope you like these I did.

Emily Stephens said...

Jill! WOW! I absolutely love this! What a fun and unique way to display your family tree!

Anonymous said...

If you still have the template and are not selling it on Etsy, I would love for you to send me the file. I just got a Silouhette AND I'm an ancestry NUT. I know this is an old post, but worth a try. My email address is jtmitchell927@gmail.com. Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I too just recently bought a silhouette machine and found your fabulous ancestry circle chart. If you would be willing to share I would love the file as well. My email is melmarie187@gmail.com! Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

So excited! I now have access to a Silhoutte & would love if you could send me the file. My email is rachelbjohn@gmail.com

Thank You!