blue-eyed girl top

Have you been following this year's Spring Top Sew-Along at Made by Rae?  For the last several years I've scoured the photo pools but never actually made something to contribute ... until now!

It has been a long time since I've tried to sew something for myself and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised!  I drafted the pattern from one of my favorite shirts, and after sewing so many tiny clothes, woman-sized pattern pieces look almost comically large. 

  
A few things I like about this shirt:  It is super soft and comfortable, and the loose style is very forgiving on my still lumpy postpartum body.  I got the jersey fabric at that strange $1/yard fabric store in Solvang, CA that I've mentioned before, so this shirt cost just a little over $1.  Score.  Plus, I finally learned how to use my double needle for the hem.  Hooray for learning new things!

The waistline is gathered slightly with one row of elastic thread, giving it a little shape.  I also gathered the top of the sleeve with elastic thread - just one line across the top arc of the sleeve piece.  I've never thought to gather a sleeve that way, but it is perfect for knit fabric.

What I don't love:  the elastic in the neckline.  It was not part of the original plan, but became a necessity when I cut the neckline too big.  Oops.  I still like it, but it's a bit more peasant-y than I imagined.  I'll just try again!

Anyway, that's my top.  I might try another one before the sew-along pool closes this weekend.  


Cora was blessed with the Maddox family blue eyes.  Isn't she getting deliciously squishy?



18 comments:

Tonya said...

OK, 3 things...1)SUPER cute baby 2) I love the pleats down the front of your top, it just adds a little something! and finally 3) LOVE your haircut!!!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

That top is WAY cute! I love it. When you gathered the sleeves with the elastic thread, did you do this before you set the sleeve, or did you attach the sleeve with the elastic thread? It looks great, and one of my favorite parts of the shirt is the neckline! Very cute. And your baby is so cute. :)

SarahSews said...

It looks great! Better than several I've made in that style from a pattern. The front pleats but the partial gathering are great. The neckline and sleeves look awesome too. I need to check out the weird fabric store in solvang.

Chez Roo said...

She is delicious! Really like the top too.

Lil Mama Stuart said...

aw, love that last picture! after getting a DSLR, I can't take selfies anymore!

Christina said...

Cute top! I've been lurking around the Spring top sew along for a couple of years now too. I still haven't made anything for it! Maybe next year...

Blisstered said...

Can you mention the strange fabric shop again? My mother in law and I would like to check it out! :) Thanks!

Jessie said...

So very cute! Both the top, and the baby. :)

I've used elastic thread for that kind of gathering before--the only thing to watch out for is when you wash and dry it--it'll gather up more, which might mess with your smooth sleeve. I had to remove mine after I put in the sleeve to fix it. Sure is an easy way to gather though, huh!

kristin said...

Beautiful top - I'm a blue eyed gal (with a blue eyed daughter!) and I love wearing the color. Too bad she won't - I'll keep trying! :)

Emily said...

Cute top- especially the pleats and the color. Love the pictures of you and Cora.

Erin said...

Love this top and that it goes with both your and Clara's eyes. I think this style looks great and very flattering for you. I can't wait to see the second try at this top!

Kristie said...

I think its funny, but the elastic neckline was what I liked first. So cute. Wish there was a pattern for it!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

She's growing and she's so sweet! Congratulations on a successful top!

Sarah said...

It must be so rewarding to sew for yourself! You're an inspiration, my friend! :)

Jenny said...

This is gorgeous. And she has gorgeous blue eyes.

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com said...

Love the shape of your top. That is amazing that you made it from an existing shirt by way of pattern. Did I understand that correctly?@ Wow.

I personally would add some detail at the sleeves and the neckline, but that's just 'frilly me'. Yours looks great on you, and with a new baby on hand, who has time for frills!

Enjoy your new one, that's the most important thing. Have a happy day,

R

Rae said...

super cute!!

Love the pleats, and the color, and it looks fantastic on you!!

Lisa Jack said...

I'd love the how-to on this top!! I think it would look great on my postpartum body too!! ;-)