vader rules

Here's my first day's offering for KCWC - a t-shirt for Oscar using Rae's Flashback Skinny T-Shirt pattern, that I finally stenciled last night.  I made it a size bigger than he normally wears (don't ask me why), so it is a little large.  And I think I cut the neck hole too big.  Does he care?


Nope!  Oscar was so pleased with the Vader stencil that I couldn't even get a picture of the shirt on the hanger.  It went directly onto his skinny little body.  He was totally offended when I suggested that this was a pajama shirt.


When Oscar is upset or not getting his way, he frequently tells me, "Mom!  Listen to me!  I am your FATHER."  It makes me smile every time.


Last night I sewed a tee for Ruby using the Toddler Swing Tank pattern as my base, adding sleeves and a bow.


Ruby, of course, wanted nothing to do with it.  Why didn't HER shirt have Darth Vader on it?  I should have known better, since at only one year old she can identify half of the star wars characters, not to mention the Millennium Falcon.  We might have to stencil her a shirt as well.


The fabric from both of these t-shirts came from my old maternity shirts.  I tried to cheat as much as possible, using existing neck and hemlines where I can (like on the sleeves).  It is amazing how fast you can sew a garment when most of the finishing work is done for you!

18 comments:

Melanie@Crafty Cupboard said...

That's it. I need to make kid clothes. TODAY!
My kids are upset when I say things are for pj's too.

Christina said...

Ruby doesn't know how good she has it. *I* would wear that shirt if it was bigger! Super-cute work as always. : )

Sweat Style said...

omg that vader shirt is ADORABLE! Adorably cute kid too. :) Great job.

Danielle said...

Very cute!

eidolons said...

Now that all three of my boys are begging me for just such a shirt. And me with my lack of sewing skills. (:

jenni said...

How do you use both the existing hem and neck lines from bigger shirts? I am trying to wrap by head around that, I get using one or the other but how to use both? do share!

Vanessa Traylor said...

That makes me laugh out loud! LOVE Ruby's shirt! Very nice on both!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

they are both so adorable! love the little bow on Ruby's!

I think Sadie would love a Star Wars shirt-she knows a bunch of the characters too-even though she's never seen the movies...I'm doing my best to teach/brainwash them into liking SW! lol

Jenny said...

I LOVE both of these too. My girl and boy both would also want star wars shirts.

shantel said...

I read this yesterday but I am still laughing about Oscar saying "I am your father" oh that is too good!

Brittany said...

I too am wondering how to manage to use both the existing neck line AND hemline?

homemade by jill said...

to clarify ... I was reusing hemlines on the sleeves, not the bottom hem of the shirt. Although if I could find a way to cheat there, too, I would. :)

Brittany said...

Ahh, ok. I was hoping you had some fantastic secret!

Tricia said...

I really love these cute tops! I have an idea for you. Why don't you take the collar off an old tshirt to add to the Vader tee. Give it a faux undershirt! Since my 5 y/o is tall and skinny, sometimes a tee fits well in length but big around the collar. An undershirt fixes it every time!

Btw...your babes are so adorable!

Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I *love* both shirts, but especially that Vader shirt! My kid is going to need one of those someday... I've already made him a "Future 501st" shirt, which is the Star Wars costuming group his daddy is in. Bad guys only.

Tasha said...

Thanks for the idea! Our baby Luke is due in September, so I made this shirt for my husband. He just loves it and it will give everyone a good laugh!

The McGills said...

can you please tell me how to reproduce your awesome stencil?:) is it a pattern?
thanks!

Malona said...

Excellent! I love this shirt!