ruby rag doll

Ruby loves dolls, but until recently her collection consisted only of babies.  For her birthday, I sewed her more of a "big girl" doll, with lots and lots of hair (she really loves to twirl and run her fingers through hair).


I drafted this Ruby doll as a simple single-pattern piece rag doll, fairly large in size (about 15 inches).  I attempted to embroider her face in the style of the blogger, bybido, who makes really stunning dolls (I've been carrying around a feeling of hero-worship for her work since seeing her Christmas doll back in 2010).  My embroidery skills aren't quite up to par (that right eye is particularly wonky), but luckily, two-year-olds are very forgiving.  I'll have to practice on more dolls!


I ran out of time to make the fancy clothes I had envisioned, so these simple ones will have to do for the moment.  There's plenty of time to add to the wardrobe later.  Ruby really loves her doll, and that was entirely the point.  :)

If you are looking for doll inspiration, check out my doll pinterest board, already full of goodies.

14 comments:

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

your embroidery skills aren't up to par?! I think they are AMAZING! this doll is so cute! Your daughter must love it :)

laButiq said...

you make such beautiful things!!!

Simple Simon & Co said...

WoW! I love your doll....we have been working on dolls at our house this week too! (Great minds must think alike....)

Bonnie said...

Your doll is adorable! Glad your daughter loved it.
I noticed on your pinterest board, you don't have this pattern: http://www.weewonderfuls.com/store/put-together-5.html. It's the Kit, Chloe and Louise Doll by Hillary Lang. I've made 3 of these dolls and they've all turned out so cute! Love them.

Aimee said...

I think your doll's face is beautiful! I don't see anything wonky about either eye :)
Amazing job!

tatiana said...

que linda

CAlili said...

If you have not seen it, Angela Yosten has a wonderful fabric "paper" doll tutorial on Moda Bakeshop. My daughter and I have really enjoyed making these dolls and their clothes. I use old clothes that my kids have outgrown for the fabric. PS I think your doll looks great!

Jen said...

She is so cute! I've made dolls for my girls too and they love them!

Sparkly Chic Jewels said...

Such a pretty doll, great job!!

www.sparklychicjewels.com

Anonymous said...

I don't supposed you'd be willing to post a template for this. (Please?) I absolutely love it!

Anonymous said...

I don't supposed you'd be willing to post a template for this. (Please?) I absolutely love it!

Andrea @ TheTrainToCrazy.com said...

She's adorable!!

Sascha said...

Love it! I've been recently interested in doll making and it's been quite a challenge. I've been trying to master my doll eyes. They eyes add so much character.

Emily said...

Would love to see a template for this...what a cute doll.