fiesta dress

August in Santa Barbara means Fiesta - a celebration of the city's Spanish heritage.  My husband loves the little Fiesta dresses that are sold the the mercados, so I made Ruby my own version this year.


I started with Leila & Ben's Sweet Dress pattern, adding a large neck ruffle, shirring at the waist, and a tiered skirt.  All of the trims came from Ruby's great grandma's sewing supply, which we inherited on a recent trip to Idaho.  All that neatly organized ric rack is already going to good use!


Ruby makes a cute little senorita and loves this dress.  She's now wearing it for the second day straight and I'm sure it will make another appearance this weekend.






We've been enjoying more than our share of churros, street tacos, games and cascarones (confetti eggs).  Viva la Fiesta!



You can see last year's Fiesta outfit HERE.

20 comments:

Simple Simon & Co said...

Jill,

LOVe, LOVe, LOVe this dress! I stocked up when we were in Mexico because I can't get enough of the Fiesta look. It's just so cute!

Taylor {Sew Much Love} said...

I swear everything you touch turns adorable! I wish we could be real life friends! ;)

Marta said...

What a cute dress! you make me wish I could sew!
¡Viva la fiesta! :)
Best regards from Spain,
Marta GM
http://abilingualbb.blogspot.com

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

oh my gosh she looks adorable!! I love the dress!

Lauren said...

I grew up in Santa Barbara and have such fond memories at the Mission!! I loved smashing eggs on peoples' heads. Haha
My friend's family is in charge of putting on the I Madonnari...another thing I miss!!

CrochetBlogger said...

Bold yet sweet. I love it!

Peppermint Lane said...

Ruby and her dress are adorable! You did such a great job.

KJ@letsgoflyakite said...

A truly "why I sew moment" that frock is gorgeous!

Jessica said...

SO cute Jill! I love that you made her this special dress for your town's celebration. I love that it has your grandmother's trim. So special and ADORABLE.

Lori Thompson said...

This is adorable, and perfect for they Fiesta season!! I flew in town just to participate in the festivities! Hopefully I'll see you Sunday!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery said...

oh that is gorgeous! I absolutely love it.

The Henrich Family said...

I love you, Ruby! She's a beauty just like her Momma.

medina family said...

You really are amazing! What an awesome dress.

Mylinh said...

Oh my gosh, this is awesome! I've been wanting to make my daughter a flamenco dress for Halloween. This gives me some good inspiration.

Emily said...

What a fantastic dress!! I've been wanting to make a flamenco dress for a while too- this will be a great starting point. Thanks!

Nadine said...

Ruby looks sooo cute in this dress!!

Maggie and Sheepie said...

So cute! We go up the coast a lot and happened to be in Santa Barbara this weekend. We were happy to have hit it on the Fiesta weekend (the second time this has happened). The kids loved dancing to the music and trying out the confetti eggs another family shared with them. I was thinking how cute the girls would look in the ruffley dresses!

Rae said...

oh man SO CUTE!!! Love those curls too.

jomymother said...

This little dress is sooooo cute! Thanks for sharing.

@lliE said...

So, so cute. Nicely done.