oscar's first sewing project

Oscar has a special bear, named "Bear," or occasionally "the bear with the red shirt."  He has other bears (a.k.a. Bear's cousins), but this one is THE bear.

Oscar also has a special orange blanket, crocheted by my friend Megan, that he's had since birth.  One day Oscar brought it to my attention that Bear needed his own special blanket (rather urgently) (as in, right now).


We browsed the fabric stash and decided that Bear liked this train print (Riley Blake) and got out the sewing supplies.  Oscar sat on my lap and helped me guide the fabric to sew a simple quilt and pillow.  You can't see in the pictures, but we quilted along the wavy lines of the train cars.  Of course, I did most of the work, but Oscar really loved sitting at the machine, and his favorite part was stuffing the pillow.


Now that my kids are getting a little bit older, it is nice to be able to involve them in simple projects.  I hope Oscar will always think sewing is cool, but I have a feeling those days are numbered.


Have a great weekend!

14 comments:

Just Barb said...

oh I love this! My son started sitting in my lap to help me sew when he was about three...he's six now and has his own little machine set up next to mine...I love his urgent sewing requests (Mom, monkey needs a shirt...aren't you going to make it right now?) and sharing my favorite hobby with him too :)

Michelle said...

Aw, what a fun little mother and son project! Cute train fabric. Bear is well loved =).

Alisa said...

Very cute!

My boy is 11 and still likes to sew (though he probably wouldn't brag about it to his friends or anything...)

Ashley Watts said...

Thanks for sharing your cute family with us! Love the little quilt:) You inspire me to get out my sewing machine and sew something fun...which I haven't done in the last 8 months since my baby was born. (I think I can officially outlaw that as an excuse though since you have 3 kiddos and I only have 2;)

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

Such an adorable quilt, and even cuter that he wanted Bear to have his own blanket! Sadie's bear is named Bear also...hehe!

Nancy said...

That is adorable! Have you made the bear carrier for him too, I think I recall you saying you had the "little things to sew" book?

Elena @ Modern Oliva said...

What a cute little quilt. My daughter is only 2.5 but I can't wait to get her involved with sewing.

Emily said...

Love the last picture!! And I love that you're involving him! :)

thingsforboys said...

I can't wait until Roman is old enough to request sewing projects. The last photo is gorgeous!

Delia said...

He is so adorable Jill. I love that he loves to sew with you!

Big D and Me said...

I don't know. My 10 year old still likes to take a turn when I'm making something so you might have hope.

Gifts said...

He is so adorable Jill. I love that he loves to sew with you! GOD bless him :)


For more gifts and gifts ideas please visit :

http://messageonanecklace.com/articles/gifts.html

Jill Frank said...

My son (now 9) also has a bear named Bear. Maybe it is a boy thing? He did a little sewing with me before he was school aged. Not so much anymore. But occasionally he will ask me to make things for him. I did teach him how to sew. His favorite was making bean bags - that he uses as bombs... He loved making all different shapes. Great projects for the scrap pile. Thanks for posting!

Lori said...

Billy is trying to show me up on the sewing machine these days... so, you never know :)