vinyl in the kitchen

Since first reading the quote, "energy grows with use," on Simple Simon several months ago, it has become something of a mantra for me.


It comes from the book, The Art of Homemaking, by Daryl Hoole.  I've only just begun reading the actual book (you can download the pdf from her website), but I have enjoyed LiZ's blog posts about it quite a bit.


I wanted the text to have a chalkboard typography kind of feel, so I downloaded some free fonts online and  used the Silhouette Designer Edition software to put together the design (Fonts used (all free to download): Hangin Caps Medium, Marmellata (Jam) demo, Channel, and Weston Light Free).  Then I cut it from premium vinyl (which is totally worth the extra cost over the regular vinyl) and slapped that puppy on the wall.  I feel more motivated already!


I added the "start with the dishes" line because I find that if I do the dishes, then I'll wipe down the counters, which leads me to sweeping the floor, etc.  Suddenly the kitchen is clean.  And hey, that feels good.  So I move on to the next room.  It works!  I really do believe that energy grows with use, and the hardest part is just getting started.  I hope this project continues to be a good reminder of that.

I also made a simple menu board for the kitchen using the chalkboard vinyl.  The utensils and initials for the days of the week are cut outs, so the paint from the door shows through.  Chalkboard vinyl is just as easy to use as regular vinyl, and a lot of fun.  Hopefully this will inspire me to be a little more proactive in my meal planning.



Now through August 31st, Silhouette has a great deal a for Cameo/Vinyl bundleplus all the vinyl is 40% off.  There are lots of pretty colors to choose from.  Use the code, JILL, at checkout to get the discount!


15 comments:

Mel said...

That looks great, I love the chalk boards menu - I'm terrible at keeping up with a menu board, the kids don't even ask about it any more :P

Simple Simon & Co said...

Holy Smokes! I love so so much!!! The colors and fonts are PERFECT!!! Seriously...if it wasn't the middle of the night and I was taking a break from making things for the craft fair of doom I would be calling Elizabeth and freaking out about this.
liZ
ps--You'll love the book. It's awesome.

Dan and Katie said...

THANKS! I love the chalkboard vinyl! I am the worst meal planner and this is a super easy for me and the hubs to list what we want to eat. Now I just need to find someone with a Silhouette cutter thingy :)

Jessica G said...

Way Way cute. Same story with the dishes too yo. Would love if you'd share the file!!

Kiersten said...

It looks great! Would you mind sharing the names of the fonts?

Anonymous said...

I love pancakes for dinner!

barb said...

I'd love to know the font names as well!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

I love that saying! The chalkboard menu is adorable too-love the cut outs!

CBH said...

I was sitting here thinking again about a Silhouette, then read your blog and it's a Silhouette post. Sign? I really want one, but am so worried I won't use it much once I have it (won't know how to figure it out)... I like getting things, then I forget to use them (eg 'my' kindle is now my husband's!)

More research and thought going into it :)

Tessie said...

Such a cute saying and it looks so great in your kitchen! What a perfect reminder to do those dishes :) I love the simple retro feel.

Meg said...

I am in love with this. Both this-es.

Your picture of the above-the-sink one on Instagram did not do it full justice. It is big and fab. It is making me think more about how words in the home can be cute (unlike vinyl scriptures or "dance like no one is watching" type quotes).

And...the chalkboard menu is the straight up bomb. I want to make one. I just might. It reminds me of this:
http://witandwhistle.com/2011/12/21/diy-chalkboard-serving-platter/
Which is awesome.

Yay to crafts!

Anonymous said...

What shape is your vinyl chalk board in the Silhouette store? Love it!

The Himmer Family said...

Is there a trick to getting the vinyl transferred to the transfer paper, once its been cut? I have the hardest time with that, especially with smaller fonts- any tips? Am I missing something?

mitsi said...

Love the vinyl, but also think the paint color above the sink is PERFECT. Do you mind sharing what it is?

homemade by jill said...

Thanks! I believe it is Valspar Dreamy Cloud.