comfy dress-up: snow white dress

My little girl loves Snow White.  As far as princesses go, she's never been my favorite, but how do you tell that to a two-year-old who spends half the day singing "I'm Wishing" to herself?


Instead, I whipped up a comfortable jersey dress up outfit.   Using the Signature Dress from Go To Patterns as my guide, I color-blocked the main pattern piece and choose the maxi length, cap sleeve, and shirred waist options.  For the striped sleeves, I simply cut five 3/4 inch strips of red jersey per sleeve, laid them equidistant apart, and zig zag stitched along each side.  Repeat the same with a thinner strip for the yellow stripe down the front of the bodice.

I also prefer to sew a line of elastic thread along the front and back edge of the neckline to gather it up.  On a lightweight jersey, it gathers nicely, but remains very stretchy through the head opening.


Since I'm not a Snow White die-hard, I took a few liberties with the dress design, including leaving off that big, white collar.  It just didn't seem practical for comfortable play wear.  Down the road, I might make a red cape to go with the dress, and maybe we'll add the signature collar there.

This is Ruby's favorite book to read at Grandma's house:


I love it, too, because it has really sweet vintage illustrations.  Who knew Snow White looked so good in pink?  

This weekend we did a little reenactment.  After skipping over that unpleasant bit at the beginning of the story, Snow White found herself out in the woods, feeling lonely and afraid.  At least the oranges were in season!


She came upon a tiny cottage that was just her size.


But boy, was it messy!  Snow White and her woodland friends quickly got to work, doing the dishes and sweeping the cobwebs.   After all that hard work, she rewarded herself with a nice, long nap.


She woke up feeling refreshed and happy.


A wicked witch stopped by and offered her a wishing apple, but she said, "I no eat this.  It's poison!"


 Instead she made her own wishes come true by working hard and going to college.


That's how it goes, right?

29 comments:

Federica said...

Bellissimo! Sei bravissima, ti seguo sempre, ci dai sempre tante idee fantastiche! Complimenti!
Federica

Blogful said...

I just bought this pattern and have already made two dresses for my girls. What a great idea to use it for dress-ups too. Kind of like this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/91260907/custom-pick-3-princess-dresses-girls?ref=sr_list_20&sref=&ga_search_submit=&ga_search_query=minnie+mouse&ga_view_type=list&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=0&ga_order=price_desc&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade%2Fchildren%2Fclothing/

Tricia said...

Adorable. I just took on the responsibility of making a Halloween costume for a girl whose mother was just diagnosed with Leukemia. Having sons myself, I'm suddenly overwhelmed with the idea of princesses and my little ponies. This seems like such a smart dress up choice.

Sara said...

That is TOTALLY how the story goes! :) Love your blog.

Emily said...

I LOVE the third to last picture!!! Love the dress in knit and the omission of the white collar too. :) My daughter loves Snow White too and I actually need to make her another Snow White dress since the first is stained and torn.

Vanessa said...

That is a lovely dress for a lovely girl!

@lliE said...

I love it, how adorable!

maddmomma said...

This post made my day! Loved seeing Ruby and her lovely Snow White dress. What a lucky princess, to have such a talented mother!

Ulrikes-Smaating said...

hej jill,

it´s very nice, so sweet! I´ve postet now an snow white playset. With 7 dwarfs and snow white.
Just come to my blog, if you like it :0)
greetings from Denmark
Ulrike

Kat said...

Gorgeous! I love Snow White. I can't wait to make some costumes for Squishy when she gets bigger.

kristin said...

you are a mama after my own heart! love how you made the dress up wear comfy! she is suuuuper cute.

KerryQ said...

You go, Snow! They must have scholarships for princesses who take care of messy dwarves. ?

april said...

i adore this! my 2 year old got a box of disney princess dress up outfits for her bday this year and they are so cheap and the velcro never stays closed and they are a pain even though she adores them. i recently purchased this dress pattern, so it is a sign i should make my little one nicer dress up clothes, i suppose! Great job?? <3

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

First off, the dress is adorable! Secondly...that picture of her cleaning her playhouse is just too adorable!

Rachel C said...

So cute! I love the reenactment with the cute pictures of the vintage Snow White and the photos!

Famous Engg Colleges In Punjab said...

I don’t even know how I stopped up here, but I believed this post was great. I do not realize who you might be however definitely you’re going to a well-known blogger should you are not already. Cheers!

rebekah @ justfordaisy said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! Job well done! :)

Zepequeña said...

Lovely!

Zepequeña.

Lisa said...

I love your dress and your rendition of the story : )

Rachel said...

What a great idea for a playdress, and I'm so glad to know I'm not the only mom who "edits" fairy tales, lol!

"Prince Charming loved Cinderella because she was so good at cleaning her room . . ."

cash advance said...

She's so lovely with that costume.

Natalie said...

This is so adorable! I love your photo shoot. I recently started making comfy versions of princess dresses, too. I use a little girl's undershirt (dyed the appropriate color), add a skirt, sleeves, and embellishments, and voila! Easy on, easy off! And, waaaaaaaay cheaper than those crazy expensive, itchy, sweaty-looking ones at Disneyland!

Knit stitch craft said...

Thank you for posting this, my two year old loves dressing up but I really don't like the super shiny satin outfits in the shops and this is great inspiration. Lovely photos and a lovely blog

Rose said...

Heh heh--I love the ending! And she makes a very perfect Snow White.

Simple Simon & Co said...

How darling! I love the dress and the illustrations in that book are AWESOME! I love the Mary Blair time period of Disney illustrating..it's just so great.
liZ

Jerri Washam said...

She’s just A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E! It really looks like a more comfortable version of Snow White’s trademark dress. She might have been disillusioned from her fairytale dream if she had worn a prototype. :D On a more positive note, what a smart Snow White she is, refusing to eat the apple! I hope you didn’t have a hard time making her take the dress off for laundry or her cleaning.

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

How.
Stinking.
Cute.
Was.
That!? Love it!!

Vicki Arnold said...

Your daughter is adorable! I love, love this dress and your story-telling post.

Walewska said...

This is really adorable! My daughters would KILL for one! :) And you kid is adorable :)