comfy dress up: baby sunflower costume

Now that I have a few homemade Halloween costumes under my belt, I can tell you comfort is key when making a baby's costume.  Especially for kids like mine, who don't tolerate a lot of accessorizing, it helps when their "costume" doesn't differ much from their normal clothes.


Cora's top is a Flashback Skinny Tee (pattern by Made By Rae, made with the puff sleeve tutorial she recently posted).  I thought the loose sleeves could be the leaves without looking too literal.  The leggings (pattern by Lil Blue Boo), were lengthened and I added ruching to the bottom of the legs.

I made the flower "necklace" using a template from Martha Stewart.  The pet sized flower pattern is a great size for babies.  I didn't have enough yellow felt on hand, so I used yellow jersey from my fabric stashed fused with a craft weight interfacing.  To make sure it held up to some abuse, I zig zag stitched around the edges of each flower petal.  I actually like the look of it much better than felt.


Cora wore her costume yesterday without complaint (sitting still for photos is another story).  Comfortable costumes make a happy baby!  And I'm happy knowing she can wear the shirt and leggings as separates after Halloween.


Want to hear something great?  The polka dot knit came from a 99 cent/yard fabric store (I've posted it before here), and the yellow jersey came from a t-shirt I bought on clearance from Old Navy for 49 cents.  So all together, this costume cost under $2.00 to make.  Booyah.

One down, two costumes to go!

Here's what I've made in past years:

Halloween 2011:  Pumpkin and Wonder Woman
Halloween 2010:  Skeleton and Aerobics Instructor
Halloween 2009:  Bluebird

p.s. I don't always follow my own advice.  My original plan for Cora's costume was a Cabbage Patch Kid.  She wouldn't even need special clothes ... just a wig!  So I crocheted her a simple beanie with yarn looped in for bangs and pig tails.  Yeah - it lasted about one second on her head before she'd whip it off.  Don't be fooled by this picture (her arms are pinned down).  I came across the "hat hair" idea while browsing Pinterest, and you can buy similar hats from this Etsy shop.


10 comments:

Sweat Style said...

That is absolutely adorable! And at an amazing price, great job.

thingsforboys said...

such a cute little costume! I love sunflowers, especially baby sunflowers! ;)

Маргарита said...

Прелестный цветочек ))

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

Such a cutie patootie, that costume is adorable!

Lil Mama Stuart said...

I'm all about DIY costumes too. But this year, I think it's going to cost more to make it than buying it. Even still, my DIY version will be better than the cheap polyester that gives me the heebie jeebies!

Lisa said...

So cute! I need to get going on making costumes for my three little ones.

Sarah H said...

Agh, so funny! My 10 month old is going to be a cabbage patch with the doll hair. I put a lot of pinterest brainstorming time into it, haha. I've been putting the hat on her while letting her do fun things, climb the stairs, eat, etc. We'll see what her toleration level is in a month. Right now she's at about 4 minutes..boo. I love the flower idea, so practical, comfortable and sweet!

Vanessa@Designs By Sessa said...

SO cute and the cabbage patch hat is hilarious!!!

Kathryn said...

Wildly adorable!

Jane said...

I love your halloween ideas!! I just made my 4 month old daughters first halloween costume and I have to say, I think we need to bring homemade costumes back. Store bought stuff looks so cheap and is so expensive.