comfy dress up: yoda costume

Another item off my kcwc to-do list - I finished Ruby's Halloween costume last night (huzzah!).


My kids started their Star Wars obsession at a young age.  One of Ruby's very favorite books to read at bedtime is "Star Wars: A Pop-Up Guide to the Galaxy."   For the last several months, Ruby has been telling anyone who will listen that she is going to be Yoda for trick or treat.


Between her perfect little size and funny little voice, she is going to make a practically perfect Yoda.


The costume consists of four easy to wear pieces: a knit shirt and pant, cozy robe, and a yoda hat.


Robe: Go To Pattern's Signature Dress pattern, with hood and maxi length options.  I belled out the sleeves to get a looser cut, and cut the front robe pieces, cut the two front pattern pieces separately (not on the fold), adding about an inch and a half to the edge for hemming and a looser fit.  For the fabric, I bought a cheap minky throw blanket from Ross ($6.99) and used the hemmed edges whenever possible.

Top:  Oliver + S Hopscotch top (I think this pattern is now out of print) in a brown jersey knit.  I used fold-over-elastic to bind the neck and sleeves, and added a little cuff to the sleeves.

Pants: Big Butt Baby Pants in the same brown jersey knit, purchased at fabric.com.  I really like the Laguna Stretch Cotton Jersey.  It is a cotton/lycra blend with a nice weight, lots of stretch, and comes in many colors.  It was nice to work with).

Yoda Hat: Cozy Winter Hood pattern from the book, Oliver + S, Little Things to Sew.  I drafted my own ear and had to hand stitch them on since they are off to the side of the head instead of in the top seams.  I wish I had folded the tops of the ears over a little to make them more Yoda-like, but I think the idea gets across. The outside is a minky fleece and I used a satin stitch to make yoda's head wrinkles.


 
The force is strong with this one.

29 comments:

Sabrina said...

too, too cute! I love it when girls get "boy" obsessions. One of my girls wanted to be Darth Vader for two Halloweens in a row. :)

lunadepana said...

I just love this outfit - and your cutie is adorable wearing it!

Tara said...

this is genius! my kids (age 2 and 3) are both obsessed with star wars. I love the idea of using the cozy winter hood to make the yoda hat. I've got the Little Things book, so I definitely have to try that sometime.

bybido said...

This is awesome. I love it!

Lisa said...

So cute! Mine wants to be Dark Maul! Last year we were Anican(spelling is not my thing). I love your hat. It is Star Wars and Angry Birds here with a 7 year old boy. But out 21 year old daughter was into it to with her daddy! So I blame him but he never has to come up with the costume!

@lliE said...

Love it!!

Kathy said...

This turned out so cute! Now I'm kinda wishing that I had made my kids costumes this year...

happy 100th birthday said...

Wonderful Yoda costume! I like the idea.

Settee said...

So cute! I may have to use this idea to make something similar for my son! I just love your blog!

Nooly said...

so stinking cute!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, she is adorable.

Second... I am jealous. My dream is to have my daughter (5) be Leia, my oldest son (3) be Luke and my baby (13 mos) be a waddling Yoda. However, my daughter has her own ideas and I just don't feel right squashing them. My baby just isn't in the mood to walk yet, so he will be carried, leaving my 3-y-o on his own. I learned 2 years ago when we had a Snow White and Dwarf theme that if one half of the duo takes off (Snow White), the poor guy left behind is mistaken for Friar Tuck (really, people??). I can see Luke being mistaken for a karate guy, which is fine... but I am kinda hoping for Batman and Robin. Batman can stand alone well.
CraftyDrMom

justmejay said...

Seriously fabulous - shall be copying your wonderful hood!

kristin said...

oh stop. this is just the CUTEST YODA I'VE EVER SEEN!!!! like i said on instagram, you're a genius for stitching over the minky like that on the hood. fantastic and so cozy too!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

she is THE cutest Yoda I've ever seen! I love that she's so into Star Wars! She would have fit in great with our family last Halloween, lol. Also love that she can wear the pants and top again-smart mama!

Dallas said...

This is an awesome tutorial! Thank you. My husband really wants to do a Star Wars costume theme for our family, and since Yoda is my daughter's favorite character, this would be perfect.

robin said...

Ack. Fantastic! And this is perfect for trick or treating on cold October nights.

Rae said...

oh DANG!! This is completely awesome. AND: I love the laguna knit too, SO SOFT AND: We have that pop-up guide to the galaxy too! Yay for nerd families!!!

Jenny said...

this is amazing. you are brilliant!!

Anonymous said...

You are a genius.

The Henrich Family said...

it's perfect. I love you, Ruby.

maddmomma said...

Can I say, "NICE"! Looks like you are going to have a fabulous Halloween. It looks like Ruby is one happy little lady!

Peppermint Lane said...

So cute!

gynecologist phoenix said...

Cutest Halloween costume ever.

the momma said...

Super cute!!! (and comfy :-)
question ~ How does the Lugana jersey compare to say - knit shirts from the Children's Place? thanks

edeenut said...

So cute, I love how she is Yoda!
This is a great reminder that I need to get started on my kids costumes asap...

childrens jackets said...

Halloween is coming thats why theres a lot of items that reminds us of it. This time we will remember of our dead relatives. Halloween costume is not only those look scary but those beautiful costume specially for kids.

Heather said...

omg this is amazing! amazing!

Jen said...

This is so cute, my son would love this!

Katherine Steven said...

Such a lovely and cute comfy outfit! if you want to feel comfy find your desired collection of cheap tees at wholesale rates!