kcwc day 3: refashioned sweater hoodie

Last night's project was a hoodie for Oscar.  This is about the closest we get to outerwear in Santa Barbara, and he probably won't need it for another few months.


This hoodie is kind of a frankenstein piece - I rescued two of my husband's old sweaters from the goodwill pile that were still in great shape and chopped them up into a variety of pattern pieces.  Rae's Flashback Skinny Tee for the bodice, hood and sleeves from Heidi & Finn's Urban Unisex Hoodie, and a kangaroo pocket from  Go To Patterns' Signature Dress.   I slapped them all together and hoped for the best, and it mostly worked!  The fit is not perfect, but I intentionally cut it big (5T) so it would last a while.


Oscar loves the cozy sweater fabric (it is SO soft), and the kangaroo pocket.  I guess he's never had one before ... he thought it was really fun that his hands could meet in the middle.


Oscar turns into a complete weirdo for the camera.  I have a precious few seconds to snap a picture of him looking normal, and then he morphs into this:


I have about 20 pictures of him either flashing toddler gang signs or striking a super hero pose.  Then he wants to see them all in the viewing window.  I am hard-pressed to get him to just stand there looking sweet.


Oh, well.  At least he likes the sweater.

13 comments:

kristin said...

haha he is SO CUTE. how old is he? really love that sweater, too, it looks super comfy cozy.

Palak said...

Toddler gang signs!!! I almost choked on my soda!

Lynn said...

i love this! oscar scores!

Maria Naccarato said...

Our boys must be in the same gang, he does the same thing with his hands!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

hehe loving the toddler gangsta signs... and it looks super comfy!

Anonymous said...

Toddler gang signs!! That made me laugh. My three boys did those/do those too. Love the sweater and how you combined different patterns to cut it. We're in Ohio, so I totally can't comprehend that you won't need that for a few weeks (brrrr already).

Love your blog and your creative ideas.

Holly

Jade said...

Adorable sweater but I think the toddler gang signs are my favorite. You know your from California when...

Chez Roo said...

He is lovely! My kids are all freaks as soon as I turn the camera on them (this seemed to start with their newborn photos!). Love the sweater hoodie! I have a pile of sweaters that could be up cycled, but I doubt I would manage anything as awesome as this :)

Slipcovers by Shelley said...

That is the most adorable thing I have seen....great job!

Natasha said...

My goodness Jill, seeing these pics of Oscar makes me realize how quick our babies have grown up, can you believe it?? ((slow dramatic tear))

Matthew Jones said...

Cool! I have done something like this but with no hood, I had a sweatshirt and turned it in to pants and a vest for my little 2 years old niece. This site helps me to write my essay on this theme.

special-essays said...

The kid is so cuuuute!) I also like the sweater)
professional essay writing service

speech writing services said...

This blog post was absolutely fantastic.