ruby and george go camping

Yesterday was Oscar's fourth birthday.  I have to admit ... this one made me ache a little.  How did my baby get so big so fast?

Late last week I got into birthday prep mode, which explains why I fizzled out of kcwc.  Oscar loves camping and playing camping, so for his birthday, I made him a little felt campfire set.


But wait ... that's not Oscar, you say!  Well, after hours of embroidery, the campfire set was unceremoniously tossed aside in favor of his new Star Wars Lego sets (I could have seen that one coming).  Ruby, on the other hand, has been playing with it ever since.


I made the logs and fire using a pattern from the book, Big Little Felt Universe.  The only thing I changed from the pattern was to stuff the fire with polyfill instead of gluing the pieces together (in the book, it is flat, in kind of a tripod shape).


I also made a felt marshmallow that fits on a wooden dowel skewer after seeing something similar on a campfire set on Etsy.  I need to work on the proportions a bit, but maybe I'll post a template for it later.


I'm sure Oscar will get around to playing with it eventually.  In the meantime, this campfire is in good hands.

24 comments:

Stephanie said...

That is great a tutorial would be awesome!

TiniT said...

I love this set :) Such a great idea :)

Jennie Holt said...

that is ADORABLE!! i want to make one! :)

Laura said...

My eldest boy turned 4 a couple of weeks ago and I found this one harder too. That's such a cute present, at least Ruby appreciates it :)

Tricia said...

I have that same book, and have not yet made anything. I love this, thanks for the motivation. Maybe for christmas gifts.

Jessica said...

This is so cute Jill! I need to get back into making felt toys more, they are just so fun. I'm sure Oscar will come around :)

Emily said...

This is my kind of camping. haha. :) Love the set and the pictures! Ansley's a huge George fan too. Happy birthday Oscar!

gail said...

happy birthday to oscar! i can see myself getting pretty emotional about the fourth birthday too :)
that camping set is just adorable!

Charity said...

That is the cutest campfire I've ever seen. =) I love that you added a felt marshmallow, and the embroidery on all of it is perfect.

tatiana said...

que lindo

Anonymous said...

So cute! I feel your pain....my son turns 11 next week. Ouch. Eleven. I wish he was 4 and I could make him this camping set (in my dreams, perhaps!) He would still play with the star wars legos though. Happy birthday to Oscar!

thingsforboys said...

I love that book! Everything is amazing. The marshmallow is the perfect touch!

RobyGiup said...

Wow! I'd have loved having a camping set like this when I was a child, I bet your children love it too!

And happy birthday to Oscar! :)

Jeneta said...

This is so impressive! What a fabulous set for hours of creative play. I can see a lot of love has gone into it.

daniii♥ said...

I LOVE this!

Nadine said...

Very cute!!! <3
Happy birthday Oscar!!

Love,
Nadine from Germany

Knit stitch craft said...

That's amazing; what a great gift.

soft toys said...

Useful information ..I am very happy to read this article..thanks for giving us this useful information. Fantastic walk-through. I appreciate this post. soft toys

Sydney said...

My mom says I did the same with my Raggedy Ann when I was two at Christmastime once I saw my big sister's Barbie dolls. Kids are so funny. I'm glad Ruby's enjoying it!!

Katalog IKEA said...

Hah, lovely monkey! I have at my home a dog from Simpsons and soon I should think about next "pet". Perhaps it will be monkey :)

Elizabeth Proctor said...

Don't worry about the marshmallow size. For smaller kids, it is perfect for their little hands. Ruby looks like she is having a lot of fun, which means Oscar will sooner or later decide he's missing out.

Heidi said...

I LOVE this! I must make it for my girls. They have been obsessed with camping for about a year now and they are always playing it!

In fact, both girls are in school right now. I think a trip to the Hob is in order ;)

and p.s. you did an amazing job! This is the cutest thing ever!

-Heidi

Heidi Vetter said...

Quick Question. Where did you get the green lantern?

Jodi Wiebe said...

Stellar!